Valued Contributor

Re: 91-Year Old Lady Who Called into Gary's D&C Show on Q2

Yes QVC & other shopping networks are the only way some people, not just elderly get to see & purchase clothing etc. I am battling an auto immune disease & our city doesn't carry tall clothing. I am forced at times to order items I need. I am just sad that QVC has changed so much recently. Returns are hard for me too!

Honored Contributor

@FlyersGirl wrote:

God bless her. I would take that lady shopping or anywhere she wanted to go. 

When my Mom couldn't drive I took her everywhere. She LOVED to go to the QVC outlet store in Frazer. We shopped there at least twice a month then went to lunch. I loved to take her on day trips to Baltimore for crab cakes and up to NY to see a Broadway show. She passed 9 years ago and I still miss her every day.

@FlyersGirl 

where was your favorite place to take her for crabcakes in baltimore?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

We live rural and going down to one car sounds perfect for most people in our age group.  But we cannot do that since if one car breaks down and all we have is one left we are pretty much stuck. I say this because sooner or later we all have a circumstance that makes moving around almost impossible.  I think about that day and sometimes it scares me.  And other times I just wake up in the morning grateful I can be who I am and do what I can do.  

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

There's always Uber to get you where you want to go.  I retired and moved to NM because both my parents were legally blind from macular degeneration.  Dad had just given up his driver's license when I moved.  Mother gave hers up years before.  No bus transportation here so they were totally dependent on me.  I know exactly what that woman was talking about.

I tell anyone, I thank GOD for the internet and QVC!!!  I don't have a driver's license and I am lucky to live in the 'CITY" where I can get an UBER, bus, cab, even transportation services but in many parts of the US....if you don't have a car or someone to take you...YOU ARE IN TROUBLE!!!

The internet has opened up a whole WORLD, if it can be shipped, you can get it.  Especially for larger size people, my hubby is a Big and Tall and I'm plus, he wears a size 15W shoe.  In the "OLD DAYS" we would go from store to store, disappointment on his face, NOW....we go online and he has HUNDREDS of selections from Zappos, big and tall men's stores, amazon, jcpenney, macy's....the "WORLD" is open to him.

I am so thankful for UBER cause if you can walk to the car, you can GO!!! 

Did you KNOW ...Uber has gift cards now, so you can open and account and don't connect it to any credit cards and just have gift card funds available.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 Mom liked several places but her favorite was Faidleys and there was a place in Fells Point too but I cannot recall the name. Jimmy's was another place she liked.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

There's always Uber to get you where you want to go.  I retired and moved to NM because both my parents were legally blind from macular degeneration.  Dad had just given up his driver's license when I moved.  Mother gave hers up years before.  No bus transportation here so they were totally dependent on me.  I know exactly what that woman was talking about.

My mom is 84 and she would never use Uber.  There are no stores where she lives and QVC is her addiction, unfortunately.  

Trusted Contributor

Hopefully someone who lives close to this lady recognized her & offered help. I certainly would. ❤️

Honored Contributor

I can never find what I want in apparel at the store, its just a wasted trip.  Its so much easier to watch TV and act on impulse.  Groceries are a different matter, I love grocery shopping.  Go figure.

Esteemed Contributor

Hope those of you who feel sorry for the elderly are doing something about it, rather than just talking about it and missing those you've lost. Call your Office on Aging, Senior Centers, the Independent Living Centers in the community, and Churches. They always need help with seniors, young or old on disability, people of any age without the finances for a vehicle, etc. Just volunteer. It's a pleasure to meet new people and help them on a regular basis. It's a learning experience, as well. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.