Honored Contributor

91-Year Old Lady Who Called into Gary's D&C Show on Q2

Just made me tear up!  Old folks just make me turn sappy.  Gary said to her, "who wants to go to the store anyway", after she said she did all her shopping on QVC, and she replied, "well, I don't have anyone to take me".  BRING ON THE TEARS FOR SURFERWIFE!  It always makes me think of my mama when I hear a sweet little old lady call in.  I just thought, "oh, if you were my mama I'd take you to the store!" I miss her so much. Heart

Anyhoo, back to work.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Re: 91-Year Old Lady Who Called into Gary's D&C Show on Q2

I enjoy being out and about and I drive to and from stores often.  It scares me to think of the day when I won't be able to drive because of my age and I will be stuck in the house unless someone takes me shopping.  I guess for those who are in that situation on line shopping is a bonus, not only on the Q but for food and essentials.  

There are also programs in my area which provide transportation for the elderly through kind people who volunteer their time.

Honored Contributor

There's always Uber to get you where you want to go.  I retired and moved to NM because both my parents were legally blind from macular degeneration.  Dad had just given up his driver's license when I moved.  Mother gave hers up years before.  No bus transportation here so they were totally dependent on me.  I know exactly what that woman was talking about.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@SurferWife  I would so take her to the store also. Poor dear. 🙏❤️❤️

Honored Contributor

my mom still drives and gets out, but she pretty much refuses to go into stores or malls to purchase her clothing. so much of her clothing comes from tv shopping, catalog shopping, and online shopping.

i do "force her: sometimes to come out with me, but only if it is a stand alone store or boutique that i know she likes. she usually picks up some things and i usually get a gift and a free lunch or dinner! Smiley WinkHeart

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Contributor

And a shout-out to Gary as to how he handles call-ins.  He's the BEST!

Respected Contributor

My sister and I took my mother everywhere she needed or wanted to go after my dad passed. We did that for 20 years until she passed almost 5 years ago. It wasn't always easy as we both had to work full time. I must say, though, that when she got cancer, the cancer society helped with transportation to her treatments when they could as did my neighbor on occassion. Even the last boss I had was understanding and would let me work any hours I wanted so I could take off for treatments she needed.

Esteemed Contributor

@SurferWife, Like you, I miss my Mom so much.  She and her cousin both had Macular disease, so I would pick up the two of them, as well as another distant relative who was almost 100, and take them out shopping, out to lunch, etc.  In the warm weather I used to take them to a park for a picnic.  They are all gone now, and how I miss the joy of those days.  They all had a great sense of humor, and I learned so much from them.

Honored Contributor

Like many of you, I also took my mother out shopping and wherever else she wanted after she was widowed and as her health declined.  She had always been independent and drove herself, so I know not being able to drive herself bothered her.  I had to plan for an entire day, not because we went so many places, but because she stopped to talk to so many people.  It was a special time and developed into a special bond between us.  It was a sad day when she no longer felt up to leaving the house.

I do wonder how I would/will cope if/when I get to that point.  

Esteemed Contributor

I would love to drive that sweet lady around.When my mom was alive I used to love driving her around.She would come stay with me for days or weeks & we would have a blast.My son was little then & we would make a real adventure out of it.

We’d have breakfast out then hit the stores.Stop for lunch & then continue on. We would get home just when DH was getting home from work.Mom would often say “let’s all go out to dinner,my treat”. We would always haggle as to who picked up the check!! Lol!!

I miss those days.We sure laughed a lot!!