Honored Contributor

Re: 19 years, but not so much anymore

I'd also note that the 30 day return policy is no longer all that special.  Most retailers offer pretty much the same deal.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I agree.  DH told me a year or so ago that it was silly to be paying a fee to try something on when I could go to the shopping center about 7 minutes from our  home and try on anything I want free of charge. I had to agree, so I have ordered very few items of clothing since then.  With their new try it for 30 days and if you don't love it, return it makes i sound as though they benefit from your returns.

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I agree.  DH told me a year or so ago that it was silly to be paying a fee to try something on when I could go to the shopping center about 7 minutes from our  home and try on anything I want free of charge. I had to agree, so I have ordered very few items of clothing since then.  With their new try it for 30 days and if you don't love it, return it makes i sound as though they benefit from your returns.

They do benefit.  They can send the item out again, often as new, and on top of that they keep all the excess shipping, both to you and from you.

Valued Contributor

Catalogue/mail order companies have been like this for years, often selling many items with "no returns accepted on sale items" policies. The consumer always took on the expense of initial and return shipping. I really don't see how this is any different. Sears, Penny's, Talbots, etc., do the same thing. You only saved on return shipping if the returns were accepted in-store. And Talbots only grants free shipping if the item is ordered through the red store phone and is not in-stock in the brick & mortar store. Online-only items don't qualify.
Honored Contributor

@rac71 wrote:
Catalogue/mail order companies have been like this for years, often selling many items with "no returns accepted on sale items" policies. The consumer always took on the expense of initial and return shipping. I really don't see how this is any different. Sears, Penny's, Talbots, etc., do the same thing. You only saved on return shipping if the returns were accepted in-store. And Talbots only grants free shipping if the item is ordered through the red store phone and is not in-stock in the brick & mortar store. Online-only items don't qualify.

And yet you do have the option of returning to the store or ordering at the store...  

It is what it is.  They do it as they want to do it and we can all debate it to infinity, but the reality is that most retailers these days offer shipping deals that are generally perceived by most consumers as being more favorable.

Respected Contributor

I have to agree. It really hit me when I realized that I don't wear most of the clothes I buy from the q. They just take up space in my closet. I really wear the things I have touched and tried on before buying. There are just too many options now to go through all the hassle of paying to try on a qvc purchase. I do enjoy trying out the beauty products, but forget the clothes and shoes. I just ordered several pairs of flats on sale from Lord n Taylor with free shipping. That works for me since I know the brand.....

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Trusted Contributor

Totally agree what everyone says. QVC is making money they know some people will not return items because of two way shipping. They win some but also I bet people are not ordering as much. I know I'm not.
Esteemed Contributor

count me in on the not ordering as much clothing/shoes or much anything else for that matter.  I used to be able to order a clothing item and expect that it would fit.  In the past several years, the sizing inconsistencies have made that impossible, along with the presentations that aren't really presenting information about the product which when it is clothing is very important.  I can use the click here measurements IF I have my computer in front of me, but if there is a presentation on the product, having the vendor provide information about the fit is far more helpful.

I'm not into paying the $10 try on fee, not since IMO the prices have gone up and the quality has gone down.  Now I only purchase from specific lines and gave up completely on shoes.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Like many of you, I prefer to have the option of returning to the store to save on return shipping.  I have no problem ordering online if I can do that. 

I"m just not seeing many items worth buying these days on the q. 

Respected Contributor

Your comment on a $10 try on fee is exactly why I no longer order clothing from QVC unless it's a reorder. How true that no one would hand over $10 bills at a B&M store for the same privilege. I have to give up on any new shoe styles too. Within the same brand one style they say size down and the next one is narrow so size up. And this comes at the end of the presentation after you have ordered or sizes and colors are limited. Very frustrating. It is too expensive to mail back shoes. Please cut down on the air kissing and small talk and give us the fit details first. I hate to get to the last 10 seconds of the presentation and the host asks oh, do we size up or stay true? By then it's too late!!! Thank goodness for reviews as they can be very helpful, but with new items it is tricky. Fit first and then small talk please.