Contributor
I’ve been shopping with QVC for over 20 years but am feeling very concerned at the moment. The Visa card I have on file for my account was used by another QVC customer to buy a camera for over $1800 on Sunday. As I did not make this purchase or authorize it in any way I called QVC to see what had happened. I just received a call back from a supervisor who explained that once they received the camera back I would get my refund! I naturally did not agree with this and was then told I needed to dispute the charge with my Visa card company to get my money back via their dispute process. Again I disagreed as I find it highly suspicious that somehow my card was used for another member’s purchase. I reviewed my credit card charges and there are no other fraudulent charges which make me think it could be an internal QVC mix up. Irregardless, I think I’m due an explanation as to how this could have happened plus an immediate refund. Otherwise, how can I feel secure keeping my credit cards on file? I’m posting this as a heads up for other customers to check their credit card charges. It’s no joke having an $1800 charge appear and be stuck on your credit card!
Honored Contributor

Re: $180O Unauthorized Charge!

Call your credit card company Immediately. They will either take the payment back, or have you fill out paperwork to get this taken off of your card.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Who did QVC ship the camera to?  Shouldn't be all that difficult to trace.

Respected Contributor

Were they able to tell you where the camera went? I would think there would be security steps in place if your card was used and an expensive item sent to a totally new address. Shut the card down right now.

Respected Contributor

The same thing happened to me several years ago with Shop NBC, for somewhere in the range of $300 - $400 on my debit card.  They issued a prompt refund, but it took several days for my bank to process it.  In the meantime, my rent was late that month.  To add insult to injury, apparently the customer returned it and ordered a replacement and that charge went on my debit card AGAIN a month later!  I was beside myself and closed my Shop NBC account.  I don't understand how it happened and I don't want it to happen again. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why call QVC?

If someone had used your credit card account to pump gas would you be calling the gas station??

Call your credit card people NOW, there is fraud on your account.

Let them deal with QVC and anywhere else your card may have been used by now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Call your credit card company ASAP.  They will issue you a new card and get a fraud report filed so you can get your money back.

Don't keep any cards on file with QVC.

Respected Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

Were they able to tell you where the camera went? I would think there would be security steps in place if your card was used and an expensive item sent to a totally new address. Shut the card down right now.

My first thought.  Same premise - my sister-in-law used her debit/credit card during the holidays in Walmart about 6 years ago and someone used that to wipe out money in her checking account.  It was returned but whoever stole the number bought a very large screen TV and they were picking it up at a Walmart store. 

She was angry cuz if the person has not picked it up, why couldnt they flag that purchase to have store security waiting to hold them to call police.  The answer was it's not worth it. I'm all about consequences and isn't that store security's job? 

Honored Contributor

You need to contact your credit card company and disbute the charge.  Explain what happened. They can deal with QVC.  QVC should be able to easily figure out where they shipped the camera.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Check all your credit reports immediately and call them first if they have that option, but also  notify them in writing as to what transpired and send it with tracking available for delivery information so you can make a copy of that too and keep for your records..

They will notate everything and all of that they will place in your credit report files, but also have them place an alert on all of your credit reports to state you are an ID theft victim, so you will be entitled to a free 1 year plan for ID theft, so you can check everything yourself.  They should notify you of this option too.

Keep good tracking documentation for everything, so you have an immediate record of everything.

Also as soon as I get credit or debit cards or any type of card which has an identifying factor I keep them handy in my triple locked steel fireproof home file cabinet just in case my bag is stolen.  I make photo copies of both sides with contact #'s in bold carefully written in for fast access.

If my cards are in my stolen bag then I can immediately call the phone # listed to report the theft and have them initiate a stop on those cards so no further purchases can be made, then they should overnight you a brand new card by messenger where you must sign for it in person.

According to Bank Law:

If you report a fraudulent transaction, your bank has to investigate the charges and refund your money within 10 days. Your bank can extend the investigation time line to 45 days if you receive provisional credit of a refund within 10 days of making your claim.

The Bank that issued your Visa  Card must do their internal investigation and you file a claim with them and outline everything you said on QVC so the Visa issuing Bank has all the information,

How did this happen?

Someone does not have enough security protocols in place that is how, because if either a company, or the Visa Card issuing Bank where your purchases and returns appear had up to date security protocols you would have never became an ID theft candidate.

Now I would also demand from everyone that you receive a free one years ID theft plan at no cost to you so you can also check all your credit reports free of charges since you have been ID theft compromised, and by law you are entitled to this.

Also please update us to inform us of your outcome, and good luck!