Super Contributor
LR is charging $10 to ship a scarf!! It's a pretty scarf but not for $75 plus shipping and tax. Consider this a public service announcement! But I'm sure the herd will justify it and then wail and gnash their teeth when the 10 she has available are gone. Can you spell greedy?
Honored Contributor

Actually, $10 isn't out of line to ship a scarf.  Soft Surroundings charges $9.95 to ship scarves.  

Esteemed Contributor

Now we all know there is no weight to a scarf...anyone be it LR or any company...it is pure greed....that they are pocketing...especially when we all know that companies and LR get great discounts to ship their products...

Its the old I'll line your pockets you line mine...

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it's unkind.

Respected Contributor

She has this cute item I just purchased.  Heart

Honored Contributor

Re: $10 to ship a scarf????

[ Edited ]

@circles wrote:

Now we all know there is no weight to a scarf...anyone be it LR or any company...it is pure greed....that they are pocketing...especially when we all know that companies and LR get great discounts to ship their products...

Its the old I'll line your pockets you line mine...

@circles  

It may weigh very little, but weight is only part of the cost.  There has to be someone to put the item in the box, wrap it and label it, and get it ready to ship.   Then, add the actual shipping costs to get it to you.

Calculate minimum wage + benefits for the people involved in shipping and handling.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I'm certain that insurance is figured into the amount of shipping. Especially on high ticket items. I purchased cashmere scarves on line from a retail outlet last year and got free s/h because it exceeded a certain amount. I love free shipping. Heart

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Now if the scarf was gift wrapped and came with a card, that may be worth $10. But for me,there would be another $7.50 or more for the tax alone. So that $75 thing would be be over $90. No thanks--will go to Am*azon Prime.

Honored Contributor

twopeas wrote:

I'm certain that insurance is figured into the amount of shipping. Especially on high ticket items. I purchased cashmere scarves on line from a retail outlet last year and got free s/h because it exceeded a certain amount. I love free shipping. Heart

Exactly!  I was just going to say that they self-insure so items that are higher ticket will often have a higher ship fee because that's how self-insuring works.  

It's kind of like the basic theory of insurance - 'many pay for the costs of the few'.    Meaning - collectively, coverage is provided.  Maybe you (you in the generic, not you you Smiley Happy) won't need a replacement this time, but maybe another time.  So we all get covered by the small premiums that are paid across the board.

Honored Contributor

Re: $10 to ship a scarf????

[ Edited ]

I'm not in her Tribe but that's not so bad.  I'm not sure why people think she's competeting with the Qvc's, Macy's and Amazon's of the world.  She's a woman who sells stuff from Facebook and operates out of her home.  It's a  little vanity operation.  There's nothing wrong with that, she has customers and she obviously gets something out of it.  Shipping is NOT just shipping charges for anyone in this world who sells anything.  They have to factor the HANDLING charges in there too and that includes storage, packaging, transport etc.  $9.95 is reasonable to me.  I have catalogs from companies whose s&h charges are in that range.