Trusted Contributor

take care of their pets?

there is an elderly man who walks his dog in my neighborhood.  buthe won't use a leash.  and he lets the dog run ahead of him and go into all the yards.

the dog came into my fenced yard.  ispoke with the man and asked him where hisdog was and he just said oh he isaround here somewhere and he won't go into the street.

no, he is in my yuard marking where he has been.  come on, i love my dogs but i don't let them roam.  i did not saay anything to the man because he is 88 but still, you would think he would have a little more respect

Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover  At his age, depending on the size of the dog, he may not be able to control his dog on a leash, especially if the dogs pulls him.  I know that it is frustrating to have someone else's pet going into your yard, but I don't think there is really anything that you can do.  If you report him, the dog may be taken to the pound, and I am sure that his dog is great company for him.   If he has a fenced yard or if there is someone who can help with walking his dog, that might be the answer.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

the dog is a very samll dog. ,i think that it must weight about 8 lbs.  and he is retired from the air force as a dog trainer.

he gets a around very well.  i won't report him because i like the guy and i do not want to see another dog taken from it's owner.( i work with aniumal rescue groups so i know what happens)  i guess i am just frustrated with people lacking respect in general today

Esteemed Contributor

I ask the same thing daily as I chase the cats out (or my GSD does).

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

I am sorry about you situation because I know how it is.

We have laws about leashs and picking up the poop.  It is a struggle with the residents who think they can do whatever they want.  We find poop in our frontyard all the time and get tired of picking it up since we have no dog.

Trusted Contributor

Sad to hear this story.

I have my fathers dog because at 81 he is in dementia.

He wouldn't use a harness, so the poor dog has a collapsed traecia.

He hadn't had the dog to the vet in 3 years.

He would shine a flashlight to the tree at night so the dog could relieve himself, of course off the leash.

He thought all this was ok.

Don't worry. Dad and doggie are both in good care.

Trusted Contributor

@shortbreadlover

I can top that! My elderly neighbor walks his dog ON A LEASH through everyone’s yards. Never his own yard but he’ll go right up someone else’s sidewalks, through the backyard, wherever the dog wants to go. I think he’s secretly a peeping Tom because he’ll stand right next to the house/windows. He never even used to clean up after the dog either. He’s had a few confrontations with neighbors & he started carrying a plastic bag but I’ve never seen him use it. And if you tell him to stay out of your yard he only goes there more. My one neighbor said she found him in her garage with the dog. I haven’t caught him in my yard but a few winters ago I had footprints in the snow of man & dog through my front yard & trampling right over my landscaping. 

Esteemed Contributor

Guess I do not see walking a dog without a leash as the same thing as taking care of the dog.  Most places have a leash law, thus fines are issued.  Perhaps go to the police station or animal control and ask them to have a talk with him so they will not have to ticket him.  Some places this can be a pretty hefty fine, one town around here is $200 first offence.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Frequent Contributor

I also have a dog diagnosed with collapsed trachea.  He has always worn  a harness.  Our dog is on medication for the collapsed trachea and doing better.  Is your dog on medication, and how is he doing.  I had never heard of this condition before it happened to our dog.  It's hard to get much information about this condition.  TIA