Trusted Contributor

why take a dog on an airplane?

I just heard from my local t.v. station that another dog has died on a Delta Flight.  When I googled it I found more info on a dog that died on a transatlantic flight from Moscow to New York because it was put in the cargo section and froze to death.

Why do people insist on taking dogs on flights?  Surely keeping the animal at home at a boarding establishment is more humane and results in their being alive when you return.  As to transatlantic flights good luck.  My opinion.

Respected Contributor

Re: why take a dog on an airplane?

I would never do this. I think it is so dangerous. 

Honored Contributor

So sad especially the pain it suffered.

Valued Contributor

When I moved from CA to Idaho, I drove so I could take my dog.  I would never subject him to an airplane

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My little girl flew with me...NOT in cargo.  Who would do that....a precious life treated like luggage.  Hopefully this will change regulations, so that people without any sense can't abuse their animals.

Honored Contributor

@newname0If I still had a dog, I'd have to make a judgment.  Short trip - a week or two maybe? I'd board my pet.  What would I do for a much longer trip -  I go for months at a time right now which is why I don't own -  but f I did decide to own, I'd have to measure the risks for the dog.

I know we hear of all the disasters, but what are the percentages?  How risky is it to take a dog on a flight?  To board one for a few weeks?  Is there info available to help us make decisions?  Except for very local, totally anecdotal stories, I just never got any help when I did own.

Honored Contributor

People can be selfish and thoughtless.  They want their dog on vacation with them because that makes them feel good but they give no thought to the dog's safety.  Not to mention the horrible travel experience the poor dog must endure..twice.  Granted, most dogs don't die but a growing percentage do.  1%, 2% that would be enough for me to avoid the risk and board my dog or pay for a pet sitter or have a friend keep him.   I suppose if I was relocating cross country and driving was not a possibility, I would have to put my dog on a plane.  

Regular Contributor

Not familiar with this particular story but perhaps they were moving overseas? My brother and his family moved for about 5 years to Australia due to work.  What are they to do? Give up their dogs? So yes, they made the flight, had to be kept in quarantine for a period of time and then they finally were able to join the family. These were 2 large dogs so no they couldn't go on the plane with them in the passenger area.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I moved cross country in 2010 I used Petairways. It was wonderful. A very large plane with a full crew. My pug loved it! No stress. He was very happy and so was I...

Honored Contributor

@lovethgedress wrote:

Not familiar with this particular story but perhaps they were moving overseas? My brother and his family moved for about 5 years to Australia due to work.  What are they to do? Give up their dogs? So yes, they made the flight, had to be kept in quarantine for a period of time and then they finally were able to join the family. These were 2 large dogs so no they couldn't go on the plane with them in the passenger area.

@lovethgedress

This latest dog death on Delta was an 8 year old Pomeranian in the cargo hold on a flight from Phoenix to NJ, with a stopover in Detroit.

When the plane landed in Detroit, the dog was dead. Smiley Sad 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.