Honored Contributor

Re: what would you do in this situation?

Report it if you have some agency that will respond. These things are usually anonymous.

The state of the home alone appears unfit. 

Sorry to all those MYOB folks (but somehow they don't see it that way if someone is in Lowes without a mask these days). 

Animals can't speak for themselves, and like children, reports need to be made if there is a strong suspicion that they are being abused or neglected. Let the chips fall where they may.

Honored Contributor

Inside City Limits here you can only have 3 dogs. They cannot be loud barking dogs all day or you can receive a fine. 

If you are talking hoarding junk you cannot do that either. My next door neighbor had his garage full of junk so he started filling up his back yard up. Once I had to look at the junk piled higher than the 6' fence I turned him in.

They had trailer after trailer removing all the junk. They have done this at this house at least 3 times.

Turn them in. 

Respected Contributor

For the sake of the animals who cannot help themselves and are at the mercy of their owners, please report this situation to whatever agency your county may have to protect the animals. 

This also could be a fire danger which would be horrible for hoarded animals and humans (could also be children in this home) and to neighboring homes.   So your local police or city code control could also be a source to notify.  If this house is hoarded to the point it is hard to walk through, etc., there is also the issue of emergency personnel not being able to get through if needed.

This is not a situation to MYOB more like a "if you see something, say something" situation.  You would feel terrible if something is really wrong you did not act.  At the very least a simple phone call to the appropriate agency is in order I think.  I know if it were me, I would be calling every available source and making sure they follow up. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd call my local animal control / abuse investigators in a NY minute. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

You could also call the fire department as hoarding is a fire hazard. I've seen it done once in real life, had a severly hoarding neighbor and someone called the FD.

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo   Whoa, a tough call. I go with saving any animals possibly in harm's way over any feelings of those doing it to them. If you report it and the dogs are fine, no harm no foul. If you do nothing, you'll always wonder "what if". 

I'm always haunted and can't watch those ads asking for donations to help abused animals. If there's that much barking and squeaking, if nothing else, they may be "hoarding" more than the allowed number of dogs to a household. It's only 3 dogs here within the city limits. 

Let us know what happens. You'll feel great doing a good deed. 

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23   I completely agree. Very well said. 

Occasional Contributor

I too am an animal lover and  I would rather have someone in authority go and do an animal welfare check then to think that they are being harmed in anyway.  At least you will know that their welfare is being looked after.

Honored Contributor

I would probably report it anonymously.  I would mention what you have seen & your concerns.

Trusted Contributor

Call your local Animal Control agency and tell them you would like a wellness check done. You can tell them you want to remain anonymous. If you can't find a number for Animal Control, call you local police and tell them the same thing. They will either get in touch with the proper agency or do the check themselves. Good luck.