Respected Contributor

what would you do in this situation?

so we have a hoarder house not very far from us.  can see from our bedroom window. it's clear that it is, as when we drive past it all the windows are piled high with junk, along with at least 2 vehicles. 

so every morning, we hear what sounds like many dogs in a complete frenzy. small barks, along with larger sounding dogs. shrieking, barking, yapping, howling, really frenzied sounding.  last for a few minutes then stops.

i am imagining possibly caged or loose dogs fighting over food scraps they get tossed in morning.  don't really know. 

should i call someone?  ignore?  i'm sure the animals are living in deplorable conditions.  any suggestions?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: what would you do in this situation?

Ugh.  As a dog lover, I would be concerned too.  Do you know the people?  Do you ever see them?  Do you ever see the dogs?  This is a tricky situation.  You want to protect the dogs, but it could turn ugly getting involved with a neighbor's personal business.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

How can you possibly know exactly what is going on?  Sounds like you have a very active imagination.  If concerned go talk to them so you have some facts, then report if necessary.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Report the house to the animal control where you live or ASPCA so they can investigate,

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@kittyloo   Have any other neighbors noticed or complained?

Esteemed Contributor

Most neighborhoods, including very "nice" ones, have at least one hoarder house. If you see stuff piled up and covering the windows you can alert the fire marshall to do a check of the home to see if it complies with local fire and safety standards.

Esteemed Contributor

Contact your local ACO.  Animal hoarding is abuse, a federal offense.  The ACO is trained at how to handle the situation in a most diplomatic manner.

If abuse is found these dogs will be rehomed.  If your assumption was false, at least you'll know you did the right thing - you'll have a clear conscience.

In either scenario, the animals will be fine.

Esteemed Contributor

You could call animal control and state your concerns and ask to remain anonymous. 
  A house down the street from me was sold and it took many huge trash containers of stuff, even furniture due to water damage. I lost count of how many. The house has been completely remodeled and will be flipped. 
  At one time his garage had straw in it for his dog and the doors had fallen off. Water came in the front door so he nailed plywood over it. Finally he sold it "as is" and moved. 
   With dogs involved I'd report it.

Honored Contributor

Does your municipality have a limit on the number of pets a household can have?  If so and it appears they may be in violation, you could notify code enforcement.  If there's a problem, they would notify other appropriate agencies.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

REPORT IT today, and don't wait another day.  

This would really bother me, and to ignore what sounds like is going on would be awful. 

Personally, if I did nothing, I couldn't live with myself. 

......You look like I need a drink.....