Trusted Contributor

Our adult rescue cat has a weird habit I have never seen before.   She insists on being watched as she eats.   If you go into the kitchen, she will come in and eat in front of you and look to make sure you are watching her.   She does this with both of us.   

We have been trying to show her attention with other things, like grooming her, scratching and rubbing her, playing with her, etc.  

Any similar experience?   She was obese when we got her and she is successfully, slowly loosing the weight.   Food is not an obsession anymore as she knows that it will always be available.  

Honored Contributor

If a rescue cat maybe she is making sure you guard her while she eats and keep away any predators?

Someone else posted awhile ago about their cat or dog? doing that too.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@NYwoman I agree with the comment by on the bay. Makes total sense.

Respected Contributor

My cat does that...she meows until I walk with her to her bowl, needs 2 pets then side-eyes me to make sure I'm watching her eat.

Trusted Contributor

Socks was an only cat of a 40 yr old woman who died.   She was indoor only.   I beleive that either in her previous life or in foster care she was only fed once a day because she devoured the food as soon as she got it,   Now, on her diet program, she gets smaller amounts during the day, alternating between wet and dry.   She knows that food comes regularly.   She reminds us if we are a few minutes late, of course, or if her preferene was not given with the side eye.   

Honored Contributor

Our rescue dog would not eat at first and only take treats,  Then she would not eat with me present and n ow she will follow me out of the kitchen and won't eat unless I'm there with her.  

Respected Contributor

My cat likes when I tell him to eat like a big boy. The hoops we jump thru.

Honored Contributor

Re: watch me eat!

[ Edited ]

@NYwoman wrote:

Our adult rescue cat has a weird habit I have never seen before.   She insists on being watched as she eats.   If you go into the kitchen, she will come in and eat in front of you and look to make sure you are watching her.   She does this with both of us.   

We have been trying to show her attention with other things, like grooming her, scratching and rubbing her, playing with her, etc.  

Any similar experience?   She was obese when we got her and she is successfully, slowly loosing the weight.   Food is not an obsession anymore as she knows that it will always be available.  

@NYwoman 

She's verifying you're providing protection from any predators who might be sneaking around nearby.  She needs a bodyguard and that's your job. 

You represent safety for her .... How cute!

Esteemed Contributor

@NYwoman wrote:

Ruby, my little rescue dog is still the same as your cat.  When we first got her, she used to take small mouthfuls of food and hide them all over the place too.

However, now, she won't even touch a bite unless someone hand feeds it to her or stands beside her as she eats eat.  My dad says it's because she's afraid to be alone anytime.❤️