Respected Contributor

I just heard on my local news that we should keep our cats indoors as if some one with Covid-19 pets them they can carry the virus on their fur. I always keep my cats in, but worry about ferals and someone who might harm them if they hear this info. They didn't mention anything about dogs.

Honored Contributor

I don't know why cats would be singled out for carrying the virus on their fur unless it's just the assumption that people let cats out to wander while they keep their dogs on a leash.  My cats stay inside 24/7.

I did see a segment today that said domestic pets were not susceptible to catching the virus from us and vice versa with the exception of ferrets.  Ferrets have been shown to be able to catch some viruses from humans. 

As far as the tiger connection, it said it was not uncommon for a tiger to contract the disease although it was not mentioned about whether it would be common for a tiger to contract it from a human.  There was a mention of tigers and exotic cats being different than domestic cats.  But, there are a lot of people out there that have exotic cats and that was not addressed.  In fact, I used to have a couple of Bengal cats which are crosses between an Asian Leopard Cat and a domestic cat.  One of them was an f2 which means it was only 2 generations away from the Asian Leopard Cat.  

Respected Contributor

Cats are susceptible to this virus & dogs aren't...my cat is indoor too & I never feed ferals, that's a big no no.

Contributor

https://time.com/5816383/pets-coronavirus/

Please lets not spread misinformation. I really hope a moderator will delete this thread!

Esteemed Contributor

I would never put my kitties outside. They wouldn't know what to do having never experienced the outside world, and I would not want to lose them. They are to important to me.

Honored Contributor

When we were talking about this, DH said cats and dogs get their own form of coronavirus, but not Covid 19. The kind they get doesn't hurt them at all. It is species specific. 

He also said it is still unknown (not enough testing) if someone in a household who is positive and living with others who have tested negative should be kept away from the family pet(s). Some doctors are recommending this. There might be a very, very slight chance someone who is positive could transfer the virus through the fur or collar to someone who is negative, but it would have to be extraordinary circumstances. He does not think there is anything to worry about. 

He just said again, there is no transmission from animal to human, or vice versa, with this virus. I know he's attended online meetings about this. FWIW. 

Honored Contributor

BTW DH believes all cats who are pets belong inside. As he says, "Nothing good can happen to a cat outside."  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

To all who responded. I did not say that the cats had the virus. What they said on the news was if someone had the virus and petted a cat that was out and about (not everyone keeps their cats inside) that the cat could carry the virus on their fur and the next person who petted the cat could then get the virus form the cat fur.