Respected Contributor

just thought that i'd give a update.  My girl was positive for addisons. so monthly injection, and daily meds for life. 

the vet, was very kind, when i explained i was concerned about a ongoing cost.  so it's not going to be too bad. the medication itself is inexpensive, and when she just gets a injection or a blood draw, i won't be charged for a office visit. so that was nice.  until all gets on a even keel with the meds and things, (which vet said could take about 3 weeks) the only issue we are having is the weak bladder, and picky eating. I know from taking the prednesone that it causes frequent urination, and she does have a pet door, but she is still having quite a few accidents. mostly downstairs near the pet door. so maybe she is trying to go out, and can't make it, or of course if the weather is inclimate, she doesn't want to go out and get chilly!!  other than that, i am having a hard time getting her to eat anything other than homeade dog food. really!!??  made he burger with rice, and she was chowing it down. went for the boiled chicken and rice, and she picked all the rice out!! vet says homeade diet is fine for her, and i need to mix up the proteins, and the carbohydrates. turkey, chicken, beef, pasta, rice, sweet potato. i would like to get her to eat at least a canned dog food. she keeps turning her nose up tho.  poor girl has already lost 2 lbs. she was only 14 to start. so need to keep her eating. any ideas for a super delicious dog food? 

Valued Contributor

Re: update on Geena ...addisons

@kittyloo I have an addison's dog also.  My girl eats Hills prescription W/D canned dog food.  I also put her fludrocortisone pill in the food so there is no problem with getting her to take it.  The Hills is a little expensive but to me it's worth it to make sure she is getting the proper nutrition she needs.  Also my vet tried to get me to give prednisone but I don't give it to her.  She is balanced on 0.5 mg fludro morning and night,  Geena may not need that much because my girl is 18 lbs. so check with your vet.  I get my meds at Walgreens with a coupon from Goodrx so shop around.  I would be happy to answer any questions that may arise since this is my second addisonian.  She is now 14 + and we lost my last one at 15 - 2 weeks.  She can live a normal life if you keep her balanced.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kittyloo, the inappetance is pretty normal on first starting meds, it should improve once her electrolytes stabilize.  Prednisone is well known to cause excessive drinking and urination, and many vets give dogs far too much of it, which makes the problem worse.  For most of my dog's AD life, when she weighed 20-21 pounds, she took about 0.25milligrams per day of prednisone, and her appetite and water consumption were very normal.  The key fact is that you are replacing the hormones the dog's adrenal glands don't make any more, not treating inflammation or suppressing the immune system, the more common veterinary uses of prednisone, so you don't need anywhere near as high a dose.  I hope your vet is experienced with treating Addison's, and is planning to titrate Geena's dose of DOCP, her injectible medicine to  get her sodium/potassium ratio idealized, as well as adjusting her dose of prednisone to keep her feeling well and happy, but not ravenous and drinking like a fish, and then urinating all over the house.  As a final bit of advice, I'd suggest you look up the Addison's Dogs support group on the Yahoo groups website.  They might also have a Facebook support group by now.  They were immensely helpful to me when my dog was overdosed on Lysodren by her veterinary endocrinologist, making her an artificial Addisonian, I honestly think that vet would have killed her if I hadn't gotten the wonderful help of the AD support group who let me know what a bad job that vet was doing in treating my dog!  Please feel free to ask me any questions you have and I will try to help, it's been 12 years since Peggy Sue was turned into an AD dog, and my memory of Na/K ratios and such is imperfect, but I'll help all I can!

Respected Contributor

@m0rgan  thanks for answering. i am glad the hear your dog is doing well. 18lbs. is close to geena's 14lbs. what breed do you have?  vet is aok with a homeade diet, if i suppliment with a vitamin. i believe that the first vet gave me a can of the hills diet. she was picky before, and now with this..... were trying to get her electrlytes balanced right now, and have the long acting med the last vet gave her wear off. 

i need to make her eat. sigh. such a princess. 

Valued Contributor

@kittyloo  I also start Casey's day off with a little warmed chicken stock, about 1/4 cup.  She loves it and I use whatever brand that is on sale.  Until she is balanced I would use the unsalted but sodium is good for them once you have a balance.  My girl is a westie.  They are known for addison's even pictured on Percorten box.  I never used the percorten shots, just the fludrocortisone pills.  The broth may encourage her to eat, that little bit of warm soup in her tummy.  Will be praying she gets regulated soon.

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo.   I’m not familiar with Addisons. But Solid Gold has a canned food called Green Cow. It’s cow tripe and stinks. Dogs love it and they use it for extra nutrition for sled dogs. It’s expensive but it could be mixed with dry. 

I only get a can occasionally because of the smell but my terriers come running!

Respected Contributor

@1Snickers  thank you for the suggestion. i will look it up now. 

Frequent Contributor

I havcanned food to entice them  Perscriiption a/d canned foor to get them to eat.  I would frst their food with th food.  He said to them it was like a patte gourmet food.  My little 7 years was dying if liver and kidney failure.  She would eat this if no other util she wouldn't eat.  Near end this is all she could eat.  Blessings

Trusted Contributor

It seems like once they get used to people food it is hard to get them to change back. My mother used to feed her yorkie/doxie  dog food topped with chicken, cheese, and other people foods. When my parents went to Europe fo 2 months one summer, my brothers and I just gave him plain dog food. He turned up his nose and was mad at us for weeks and just as he started eating again, my parents returned home and my mother started embellishing his food again. That being said, you might try mixing dog food in with the people food and then start to gradually reduce the amount of people food.  Just a thought. Good luck.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo,  I have a thankfully healthy but very picky eater.  I have learned that if I add finely minced chicken, beef, turkey, whatever or finely shredded cheese with his food he will eat it all to get the "good stuff".  You do need to cut/chop the meat or cheese small enough that it can't be picked out.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.