Honored Contributor

He is on glyco flex, and medication ,possible arthritis in his neck ,has any one had luck with turmeric?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don't think turmeric would hurt the dog and it may help. If he would eat it in his food that would no doubt be the best way to take it. I would say start with a half teaspoon a day and if he tolerates it up it too a teaspoon daily. You can buy organic turmeric at Walmart, it's inexpensive.

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I don't think turmeric would hurt the dog and it may help. If he would eat it in his food that would no doubt be the best way to take it. I would say start with a half teaspoon a day and if he tolerates it up it too a teaspoon daily. You can buy organic turmeric at Walmart, it's inexpensive.

You cannot just give them turmeric, it needs to be cooked with fats.  There are many articles which show you how to make a "golden paste" that can be added to their food.  Dogs usually have no trouble eating it and there is a lot of research that it can be very beneficial.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest 

My elderly arthritic dogs all responded very well to Dog Gone Pain.  I was using it even before a vet recommended it.

It's something I'd definitely buy again for any dog with arthritic pain.

Image result for dog gone pain

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor
I make the Golden Paste...I use organic coconut oil, tumerick and fresh ground pepper. The pepper is needed as a catalyst for the tumerick. Must be fresh ground. The key is to add the tumerick last, and avoid overheating it. I found much information online on cooking this properly and its benefits. I first started this for my Lab(R.I.P.) that had several fatty tumors, and another dog with lymphoma. I cant remark on benefits in those cases, they were too far gone. However, I do make this recipe in a ground beef mixture for Teaspoon, my Maltese, and I've noticed her sebaceous cysts have reduced in size dramatically and stopped bleeding. I have NOT seen improvement in her faulty back legs joints. I give liquid glucosamine for that...with some slight help noticed.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

You cannot just give them turmeric, it needs to be cooked with fats.  There are many articles which show you how to make a "golden paste" that can be added to their food.  Dogs usually have no trouble eating it and there is a lot of research that it can be very beneficial.

This may help.....

Turmeric Dosage According to Dogs Naturally Magazine, “the recommended dose of turmeric for dogs is 15 mg – 20 mg per pound of body weight per day, or more simply put, 1/8 to 1/4 tsp per day for every 10 lbs in weight.”

Respected Contributor

Re: turmeric for dogs

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest I had my 8 year old large breed dog on turmeric for several years following a partial ACL tear.  I purchased tablets on Amazon specifically for dogs and she responded well to it.  Unfortunately, she developed osteosarcoma on a different leg earlier this year, had an amputation and is now doing chemotherapy.  I switched her to Rimadyl for the time being since she is having regular bloodwork done.  If she does go into remission, I'll probably switch her back to the turmeric at that point, since Rimadyl can cause other problems if used long-term.  High doses of fish oil can also help with 

arthritis.

Screenshot 2019-10-27 11.20.10.png

Honored Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@goldensrbest I had my 8 year old large breed dog on turmeric for several years following a partial ACL tear.  I purchased tablets on Amazon specifically for dogs and she responded well to it.  Unfortunately, she developed osteosarcoma on a different leg earlier this year, had an amputation and is now doing chemotherapy.  I switched her to Rimadyl for the time being since she is having regular bloodwork done.  If she does go into remission, I'll probably switch her back to the turmeric at that point, since Rimadyl can cause other problems if used long-term.  High doses of fish oil can also help with 

arthritis.

Screenshot 2019-10-27 11.20.10.png

I sure hope your baby beats this cancer ,i know all too well how terrible it is ,i have lost two from it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.