Honored Contributor

Re: taking an animal on a plane

@Fierowoman wrote:

@Kachina624Totally disagree.  Contact the airline, make a space for her under your seat and talk to her constantly, put of piece of your clothing in her carrier, get  soft-sided one.  Leaving her in a kennel is so traumatic, pure traumatic.  I have traveled with my dogs for over 45 years, Europe and back many times.  You can get your baby out if you have a layover.  Putting her in the hold is something else but it sounds like you can be with her under your seat.  Only your vet can say about anything to calm her, there may be something natural if she needs it.  Take his advise as I can only speak from experience from my Yorkies and Long-haired dachshunds.  Good travels.

@Fierowoman  Totally agree.  My little boy would wonder where his family is. We are his life.   He has never been left in a cage.  I don't think he would survive a kennel, and this has never been a consideration.

Honored Contributor

@Fierowoman wrote:

@Kachina624Totally disagree.  Contact the airline, make a space for her under your seat and talk to her constantly, put of piece of your clothing in her carrier, get  soft-sided one.  Leaving her in a kennel is so traumatic, pure traumatic.  I have traveled with my dogs for over 45 years, Europe and back many times.  You can get your baby out if you have a layover.  Putting her in the hold is something else but it sounds like you can be with her under your seat.  Only your vet can say about anything to calm her, there may be something natural if she needs it.  Take his advise as I can only speak from experience from my Yorkies and Long-haired dachshunds.  Good travels.

@Fierowoman. DDisagree with what?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Scorpiana wrote:

Is anyone concerned about passengers who may have allergies to pet dander? I am thinking of persons such as my niece and my son-in-law who suffer from allergy-induced asthma and must avoid any proximity to dogs and cats. 

Nope, that's what allergy meds are for. I have allergies too. I'm not aware of anyone have anaphalaxis reactions to pet dander but regardless you can find out if a pet will be flying on the plane when you make reservations. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Occasional Contributor

@Kachina624About leaving in a kennel if you have a choice.  Just the way I read it, no offense.

Honored Contributor

@Scorpiana wrote:

Is anyone concerned about passengers who may have allergies to pet dander? I am thinking of persons such as my niece and my son-in-law who suffer from allergy-induced asthma and must avoid any proximity to dogs and cats. 

@Scorpiana. Exactly.  If any passenger objects, the dog will be kept in its carrier.  Often the airline will limit pets to two in the plane at a time (Southwest).

Respected Contributor

Does your dog bark? It would be really hard to be in a plane with an incessantly barking dog.

Honored Contributor

@Fierowoman wrote:

@Kachina624About leaving in a kennel if you have a choice.  Just the way I read it, no offense.

@Fierowoman.  I guess it depends on how picky you are about the kennel in which you leave your pet.   Mine have had a lot more fun when I'm gone than when I'm home.  They play, swim and generally have a ball.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had to start flying with my 15 year old terrier.  3 hour flights on United.  He did fine (and the United people were great).  I use the large Sturdibag.  It squishes down under the seat. It has a zipper on the top so you can put your hand in to pet your dog.  

My 15 year old died at nearly 18 and then I got my next dog.  He was 4 at the time he started flying in the same Sturdibag.  I do give him herbal relaxing treats.  I spray Rescue Remedy on my hands and rub it on his ears.  I spray a calming phermone into the travel crate too.  The vet once prescribed Xanax because I didn't know how my dog would react to flying, but the Xanax made him hyper.  

Frontier Airlines is pet friendly.  I have flown with my dogs on Frontier many times.  And I have never had an issue with United.  

Try to fly business or economy plus class.  It will give you more room and better service. 

There are lots of websites that offer tips on flying with a dog in-cabin.  So google the topic .

My dog loves  seeing his Sturdibag come out of storage.  To prepare him for his first airplane ride, I left it out in a room weeks before the trip.  Then I would throw treats in there randomly.  I would zip it up and walk around the house with him in the crate.

Good luck to you.

Respected Contributor

Any chance of a dog sitter?  

Trusted Contributor

Check out Rover.com. You can read bios about dog sitters, prices and recommendations. They board dogs in their homes or come to your home.  You can interview prospective sitters and even do a trial run prior to your vacation. Good luck.