Super Contributor

I have the best little Shih Tzu girl that came from our local animal shelter.  She was about 2 when I got her and already HOUSE BROKEN! 

Honored Contributor

@indiepupYou might want to check shih tzu escue groups.  Most rescue groups are able to arrange transport services to your area also.

Valued Contributor

****** Zu’s did not corner the market on cuteness, go to the pound and adopt!  save an unwanted dog!

Valued Contributor

Unless you want to show your dog, Puleeeese consider adoption.

Veterinarians have bulletin boards with pets needing homes. 

Call Animal Control (dog pound) and ask them which rescue group takes the Shihs.  Humane Society.  Petfinder. 

Everyone will thank you and you will be blessed with a dog that needs you.

Regular Contributor

@Deb665 that is awesome!  and that would be ideal for me too!  who knows, someday it may happen Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

@Pook thanks for your reply!  the first rescue group I contacted (Pheonix) told me they only let local people adopt their dogs so I assumed they were all the same.  I'll keep trying.

Regular Contributor

@Kachina624 I don't know about any AKC dog shows around here but I'll certainly look into that!  Good info!  That's what I'm looking for....a reputable source.  Yes, too many scams online.  Thanks!

Valued Contributor

Also, in my experience, mixed breed dogs are generally healthier and live longer.  Please consider an unwanted dog or even a senior.  They are so appreciative.  

Trusted Contributor

I cannot imagine anyone using a breeder when there are thousands upon thousands of dogs that need to be rescued. 

Occasional Contributor

I have an 11-yr. old shih tzu that my husband and I  had since her birth. We did not register her since we did not plan to breed her.  My  husband passed away last year and he loved Gracie dearly as do I.  She keeps me busy and she keeps me from being lonely.  Gracie has lots of skin issues and allergies.  She is blind in one eye because her tear ducts do not function properly.  These issues are typical for aging dogs of this breed.  Her eye medicine must be compounded by a pharmacy and is expensive, as are the other meds.  Add the grooming fees and the vet bills,  heartworm/tic/flea meds, special shampoos, -   and these expenses add up.  I am elderly and on a fixed income, but I am able to give Gracie everything she needs.  She is so worth it!!  My neighbor had an older shih tzu and had to give her up because she could not afford to keep her. 

My reason for this post is that no matter how much you love animals, if you are not able to give them the care they need, do not obtain them.