Regular Contributor

Re: senior cat with kidney disease

I have some unorthodox advice based on my experience. My Mitzi was diagnosed at age  15. She was given 1-2 years and a prescription food. I was concerned about all of the grains in the prescription food and started doing my own research. 

What I decided to do was to keep feeding her a high quality species appropriate diet with supplements to help her kidneys process the protein. Basically, it wS theopposite of what my vet wanted me to do. 

After I found a vet who was willing to support my thinking she was kept on a grain free diet (wellness canned food with freeze dried raw organ treats) and given two supplements daily. Epakatin powder was mixed in to the good (it helps with excess phosphorous) and Azodyl pills (they are a probiotic which aids in the processing of protein).

Mitzi was stage 2 when diagnosed and remained there for over 4 years. When she began to finally really decline, she was put on a prescription diet and needed IV fluids but that was only for a couple of months before she passed. She had an excellent quality of life through her 20th birthday.

Please inform yourself because IMO you can absolutely not rely on your vet when it comes to nutrition. My vmcurrent vet, who is holistic, has acknowledged this to me saying that they are not taught about it in med school.

The Epakatin is available from the vet and also online. The Azodyl is available online. No doctor needed.