Respected Contributor

vaccums ? I just rehomed a female terrier (3 year  old --vets guess)  She is a great dog but in a new to her home confusion sets in at first and so has a few accidents on the rug. I fully expected that --but when I call my housekeeper I am the one that answers . Smiley Happy

Does any one own a hand held rechargable (I hate cords anymore ) wet /dry vac that works decently? I have been looking at Spillmaster by Black and Decker . As always there are varied reviews . 

I have a carpet cleaner but have to unpack it from my very packed closet. I have been using the ole paper towel/baking soda / scrubbing routine . It seems like there should be an easier way. 

Honored Contributor

Re: recommendations for wet/dry

I always keep a bottle or Scoe 10x in my house for pet accidents because it works.

You don't need a carpet machine of any kind to use it.

It is available on line.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just bought a Bissell JetScrub Pet Carpet Cleaner. That's basically a spot remover in an upright design. It's very lightweight b/c it doesn't have those large tanks which you normally see on the big carpet cleaners. Plus the handle collapses down for easy storage. The whole thing is about the same size and weight as a regular vacuum cleaner. It also has a self-cleaning mode which I love. In fact the entire bottom part comes apart for easy cleaning. The JetScrub is top rated.

Bissell JetScrub

Amazon.com: BISSELL JetScrub Pet Upright Carpet Cleaner, 25299 : Everything  Else

I also own a regular huge Hoover carpet cleaner. I can barely lift it and it takes up a lot of room in the closet. I hardly ever used it and when I did it was a pita. After the last pet accident, I decided that I had enough of struggling with that huge carpet cleaning machine and got the Bissell instead. Now I'm so glad I did. My days of using a big carpet cleaning machine to clean an entire room are over. I leave that job up to the professional carpet cleaners. But for the little pet messes, my JetScrub comes in very handy.

My advice is to not get a cordless (anything). When the battery dies in those things then you have to replace the expensive battery, dispose of the old one and hope the new battery lasts. Plus some cordless appliances don't even have replaceable batteries in them which means when the battery dies you throw the whole appliance away in the trash...NO!

Respected Contributor

I have an older dog that has senior moments.  What I have found that works the very, very best is a product called Furry Freshness.  It removes the stain and the odor without having to use any machinery.  I highly recommend it.  It's far better than using a machine and the best remover I have ever used.  I do have my carpet commercially cleaned once a year.

Trusted Contributor

I use Nature's Miracle to spot clean. Available At Target, Petco, Pet Smart. No machine needed. I've even used it on non- pet stains that I couldn't get out of my carpets. I always have a bottle in the house.

Honored Contributor

@okaywitheasypay   When you say re homed do you mean adopted?  Meaning the dog now lives with you? 

I highly recommend the SpotBot.  All you do is put it on the spot and press a button then walk away.  It does all the work and does a terrific job.  It scubs like crazy then sucks up the water.  It's not cordless though. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

No one uses pee pads anymore?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac    Heavens no!  The last thing I want to teach my dogs is that it's okay to pee in the house. They have a dog door so why should they? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  I'm fonting about using pee pads for "accidents" and/or until the dog gets use to its surroundings. 

Not everyone has a doggy door.  Especially those of us who live in highrises and/or apartments. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Thanks to all. I am doing my homework on all of your suggestions and calculating my budget. I am also getting to know my mostly 'rat terrier' girl ( I am not fond of using the first part of that--eww !) She is a good match for us though. We had to say good -bye about a year ago to 2 fur children. We have never gone so long without a dog. It seemed all that is available at pound etc. were pits and pit mixes. We had one when we were younger and stronger that was a sweet as could be. We could not find a small to medium dog. I do not believe in buying from pet shops and leery of other sources. 

@Kachina624 I say rehomed because she has had 2 other good homes--one found her in their yard but the landlord said they could not have another dog so they gave to our neighbors who gave her a good home but they had others also. They knew our plight and kindly thought of us. She was not chipped and gets along with our cats.

I always thought a dog door could be handy in some cases but at our house we would have racoons, possum, squirrels and lord knows what as unwanted guests. I have never had success with pee pads for dogs except for thier joy at tearing them up. I know some people that use for their dogs successfully.

The baking soda etc. worked well and I got out my old sweeper that I saved for such occasions and it pretty much disappeared--but practically I know there may be more. So I do want something that I can easily grab and use.

Thanks again. There are some of the most helpful people in these forums.