Respected Contributor

Re: "friendly" fixed male cat

Ah, this brings back funny memories.  We had an early generation bengal cat that was neutered at 5 months and never exhibited this behavior. 

Except, he much later developed a habit of "scruffing" a cotton open weave blanket over my right leg (never my left) when I was reading in bed. Let's just say he never consumated the relationship, but went through the motions.  It was hilarious.  He'd eventually fall over and I swear if I had offered him a cigarette, he would have taken it. It's especially interesting because I had several plushy throws that didn't trigger it.  Never did understand it, as I've heard certain washing detergents/softeners can trigger it, but used both on cotton weave and plushy.

We had also adopted his great-grandma (a retired breeder), but he treated her like a big mama cat.  SHE didn't tolerate anything like that, LOL, as she had already done her time.

Denise
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought that "scruffing" was when either a human or an animal carried another animal by the scruff of the neck (like a mother cat with her kittens).  Is there another meaning that I'm not aware of?

Respected Contributor

@DKNJ  Your definition of scruffing is exactly what I meant - male cats will often grab the female by the back of the neck during mating. 

In my case, Rocko grabbed a piece of blanket in his mouth.  I can only guess it was some instinctual thing.

Denise
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

denisemb,

Now I understand what you mean.  I once had a cat named "Cuddles", who I rescued when she was about six months old.   At that time a large part of her neck had open sores and bald spots from where the hair was ripped out, I assume, during mating.  I took her to the vet right away for shots, spaying, exam, etc.  When I went to pick her up from the clinic after her surgery, the vet told me that he noted five "implants" on her uterus during the procedure, which essentially meant she had been about one week pregnant and would have had five kittens.  So, then it all made sense as to why her neck was so torn up, in such bad shape, and she only just a kitten herself.  

The story has a nice ending though, as she lived quite a long and spoiled life, as all animals should.  In light of her initial trauma, I oftentimes sang a joyful little ditty to her:  "Cuddy buddy was a bear, but Cuddy buddy had no hair."  (Just remembering some happy times).