Honored Contributor

"Grain free" isn't an accurate descriptor

With apologies to @Kachina624 who brought up an important subject, "grain free" isn't really the factor that is causing problems in some dogs.  I think this is an important enough subject to have a second thread.  I want to make sure no one missed the article below.

The problem is that manufacturers include ingredients that provide protein from sources dogs cannot easily assimilate.

These ingredients include peas, lentils, chickpeas, and potatoes.  It's not the absence of grain that is the issue, it is the inclusion of proteins from the above list of ingredients and how they disrupt the healthy assimilation of nutrients in a dog.

Dogs are meant to get their protein from meat sources.

Interesting article from Whole Dog Journal (an advertisement-free publication):

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/blog/Please-Dont-Panic-About-the-Grain-Free-Thing-21893-1.html

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: "Grain free" isn't an accurate descriptor

Interesting article.

doxie

Honored Contributor

Dogs need fresh protein, not processed,  i keep saying that.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Do you like Richard Pitcairn's book, "Complete Guide for Natural Health for Dogs," @goldensrbest?  I see there is a new edition dated 2017.  I own an earlier edition.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach

I think everyone should check out that article and watch the video posted. It is amazing that this is not new news. Dog food companines have changed formulas to add taurine as far back as 2004 for Wellness. The problem is the lack of taurine so it has been added. I also did not know that it had been a problem with cats back in the 1980s.

I Like Pitcairn's book. I have an old one. He wa helpful with a diet for a dog that was having issues.

doxie

Honored Contributor

@doxie1  I've had cats since the '80's.  That's why I knew taurine was important for them.  I guess I read it somewhere at that time.  I got my first dog sometime in the '90's.  This news about taurine and dogs was new news to me, too.  I hadn't heard a thing about it before now.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau