Honored Contributor

🔶"EQUUS: Story of the Horse" PBS Nature🔶

[ Edited ]

I had trouble deciding where to post this!   I think it's going to be a fascinating and rather spectacular 2-part presentation.  PBS Nature film series, part of their season 37.

2-PART SERIES:

Premieres Wednesdays

Part 1 on January 16

and Part 2 on January 23,

8 pm EST (check local listings)

"The relationship between man and his noble steed is almost as old as civilization itself.

Ever since the mysterious beginning of our extraordinary partnership, horses helped shape the human world.

At the speed of a horse, our ancestors conquered distances and built empires.

Together, humans and horses flourished side by side. What makes us so perfect for each other?

Join anthropologist Dr. Niobe Thompson and equine experts on a two-part adventure around the world and throughout time to discover the origins of the horse.

In a stunning 3D reconstruction, see the earliest member of the horse family rise from a fossil bed and begin a transformation into the magnificent animal we know today.

Discover why horses have 360-degree vision and gallop on a single toe. Explore the science of speed with renowned racehorse trainers.

Uncover the emotional intelligence of horses and their deep connection with humans.

Encounter extraordinary horse breeds from Saudi Arabia to Kentucky to Siberia, and meet the horses of Sable Island that are truly returning to the wild ways of their ancestors.

Filmed over 18 months across 3 continents, featuring drone and helicopter-mounted RED aerials, extensive Phantom slow-motion footage, and a live-recorded symphonic score."

Here are 3 brief preview videos, with more short videos at the links, too:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/equus-story-of-the-horse-about/16877/

https://www.pbs.org/video/equus-story-of-the-horse-episode-1-origins-cua7q6/

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/equus-story-of-the-horse-episode-2-chasing-the-wind-preview/16980/

Related image

Related image

Related image

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Re: ~ "EQUUS: Story of the Horse" PBS Nature ~

thanks@dooBdoo.  i've been looking forward to this and have the DVR set .

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting @dooBdoo.  This sounds like a "must see" for us horse lovers.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Thank you for this, @dooBdoo

It might just put me over the edge in deciding to volunteer for our local mini horse rescue.  I can't do much physical labor but someone did tell me some volunteers just read to the horses (and donkeys, too!).

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: 🔶"EQUUS: Story of the Horse" PBS Nature🔶

@ms traditional@Kachina624, and @GingerPeach,  You're welcome!   I'm so looking forward to it, too.   I agree, a genuine "must see" for all of us who marvel at the majestic and magnificent horse.   Homegirl, That's a lovely thought, and I know your warm and gentle spirit would be a wonderful addition to the rescue team!   

They are amazing animals.    A friend of mine was a certified therapeutic riding instructor and co-founded an organization that provides sessions for special-needs children and adults...  the relationship with the horses and what seems to be a rather magical and extraordinary communication with them is truly remarkable.

Enjoy, everyone!    Thanks for the posts!   I appreciate you!❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

It was a really good presentation tonight.  They mentioned at the end that it was also available on Amazon Video.  I looked but couldn't find it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I watched it 2 nights ago so I guess it was the second episode?  I loved it!  

Honored Contributor

I liked it a lot.  It was rather poetic.  I do wish it had exchanged a few more facts for those amazing shots of gorgeous horses with flowing manes.  Not that I'm complaining about the beauty, but I would have liked even more information.  It seemed they just touched the surface of the over 400 breeds.

Related image

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.