Valued Contributor

I have been searching for a prvate bichon or bichonpoo breeder in New England  I lost my 18 yr old and want a new one so much  Can anybody help me

Esteemed Contributor

@mollymaggie  Are you looking for a puppy only? If not, you could try a bichon rescue group.

If you are looking for a puppy, have you tried the AKC website? They have breeders listed and I think they are by area.

Hope this helps. Sorry about your loss.

Honored Contributor

@mollymaggie 

If a breeder is your choice, use Google, many choices there, do your research.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@mollymaggie 

I am so sorry about your devastating loss.  It is understandable that you are in need of a puppy and I’m sure you will find a sweet baby to fill the hole in your heart.  You were so lucky to have had your angel for 18 years and I pray I will be as blessed.

If you haven’t yet please contact local rescues. There are many breed specific groups and you might be surprised at what you might find.

Have you checked with your vet or other local vets. They are usually tuned-in to what’s going in your area for your breed and direct you to the best and avoid the worst.

Not knowing what specific town you’re in just contact AKC or google for breeders.

Good luck, my dear.

Trusted Contributor

Since you only said your area as New England, with no state specified,  I didn't look in ME, VT, or NH, but tried for MA figuring it was the most populated and likely to have resources.  It was a cinch to find shelters and breeders of Bichons via Google.

You can contact a Bichon Frise rescue shelter that can help you give a dog of that breed a new home. Make contact with this one in Massachusetts or perhaps they can lead you to another resource. 

https://bichonfrise.rescueshelter.com/massachusetts

Also, here is a head start to find reputable breeders if your heart is set on a puppy, not a grown dog needing a new home. Once again, just a deletion from a Google search focused on MA. 

https://pawesomepuppy.com/breeds/bichon-frise/bichon-frise-breeders/bichon-frise-breeders-in-massach...

Hope I've helped. Sorry for your loss. I know it hurts. So good that your heart is open to a new pup to love and care for. It will be a big consolation to devote yourself to a new dog that will love and appreciate you right back. Start thinking of a new name!

Honored Contributor

@mollymaggie    I have talked with many breeders through the years and have learned how to find a reputable breeder.  Doing a Google search for breeders is not the way to find a reputable breeder.  Many found by doing searches are puppy mills in disguise.

Go to the Bichon Frise Club of America website.  It is bichon dot org.  They have a breeder directory by state.  That does not guarantee a reputable breeder, though, but it does indicate that the breeder is in good standing with the Club.  

This website will also tell you the health testing that is recommended for the breed (it's usually in the breed standard) so that you can ask the breeders you call if they do this.  I have the paperwork for my French Bulldog's spine and eye testing that her breeder did.

That is how I've searched for breeders for many of the past dogs that I've had (after I learned that's what you need to do).  I hope this has helped you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@mollymaggie @NickNack 's advice is spot on. I like to visit the breeder and meet their fur family ahead of time.  Meeting the parents of a potential puppy will tell you volumes. The puppies will most likely be little mini versions of Mom or Dad. My breeder had one male that I wanted no part of his genes. He was way too active.

Good luck with your search. I'm sorry you had to lose your little guy. I hope you find a new family member soon.