Esteemed Contributor

Re: pit bull attacks 4 year old boy in Detroit

Witnessed first hand a border collie viciously attack a golden at a dog show today.  For no reason he took off across the ring and attacked. Guess the collies will be the next breed to ban.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy.  Aren't dogs at dog shows kept on leashes?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have a pit bull/boxer mix that is a older dog that I adopted three years ago as a senior dog he is now 14 and is the sweetest dog. I take him every week to the hospital to see the kids in there wards and also once a week to visit the senior centers along with my Lab mix who is a older dog. I think the breed is not understood by most people.

Respected Contributor

I read an article on Forbes website that included this chart.  This is FATALITIES, not bites.   

B3905534-E281-4174-AC4A-2137103FD010.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy.  Aren't dogs at dog shows kept on leashes?

Not when running agility course as we were today.  Also obiedence and rally shows also have off leash classes.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's just like what it is with people - part nature and part nurture.  I have 2 large breeds - a boxer/border collie mix and a lab/pit mix.  They are both protective of our home and family but are very sweet dogs.  My dogs have been bullied at the park by little chihuahuas and other small breeds but those dogs aren't built to do the same kind of damage that a larger dog can.   

If you own a dog that is capable of that, you need to make sure that your yard is secure and that you restrain your pet.  I never left my dogs alone with my kids when they were younger or even alone with them and their friends when they were teenagers.  Just use common sense!

Honored Contributor

I agree with the part nature/part nurture approach. Any dog can bite, but some breeds are more dangerous than others. And the stats on dogs biting can be cooked pretty easily. If they only recognize bites by pit bulls that are AKC registered as pit bulls then nearly all of those bred by private, unethical breeders are excluded and that's often where the trouble comes from.

I've been around a lot of dogs in my day and in my experience, the bigger breeds typically are saner and more trustworthy. I've known chihuahua's that attack anyone and anything that moves. They might let one person handle them, but attack everyone else. Now a bite from a chihuahua isn't all that impressive as they can't typically open their mouth enough to bite anything big like a leg, and more scrape you with their teeth than bite you unless you put a finger in reach. Bites from bigger dogs tend to be more problematic.

I've had limited contact with pit bulls, but I've never trusted them due to multiple stories I've read of experienced dog handlers who will no longer work with pit bulls. They have a lot more experience with the breed and say many pit bulls are too unreadable and unpredictable and they just won't work with them.

You hear the same story from people who have been attacked by pit bulls. "He's been with us for X number of years and never bit anyone or showed any sign of aggression, then he just snapped and attacked us for no reason." 

Based on everything I've read, heard, and tons of anecdotal stories, a pit bull to me is a time bomb just waiting to go off. It may not happen for a year, two years, five years, or more. It may never happen, but far too many pit bulls go loco at some point and attack out of the blue, and I just don't see the need to take that risk. There are many far more stable breeds of dogs out there, so why risk your life or your family's life on a pit bull? You can get everything you want in a dog in other breeds that are more stable. They may still go loco at some point, but the odds are better with a more stable breed. 

I always say my favorite breed of dog is the BGD (Big Goofy Dog). These are typically the mixed breed, part Lab, part whatever, that are just happy-go-lucky dogs who may not really be all that bright or focused, but are just good companions you don't have to worry about. They may or may not fetch a ball if you throw it. They may or may not catch a Frisbee. You're apt to find them with their head buried in the trashcan as they look for a quick snack only to look up with a "What me? I wasn't in the trash." look on their face even as a piece of trash is still on their head. They typically have mismatched ears with one up and one down or folded over, a constantly wagging tail, and love nothing more than slobbering all over you. You pretty much never hear of a BGD attacking anyone as they love everyone and everything. They're just big goofy dogs. Sad to say, they're getting harder to find as shelters are full of pit bulls these days instead of BGD's.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Every dog bites.....but some breeds should not be around children...

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

I think the problem is with INDIVIDUAL dogs not the breed.

I once had a German Shepard.  She was the sweetest dog, as were both her parents.

She was bred with another sweet German Shepard and had five beautiful, healthy puppies that were also sweet natured, until they weren't..

By the time the puppies were two years old all but one had to be euthanized because they were so aggressive.  In every case it was the owner or family member that was severely attacked.

They were all in homes well known to me and were loved and cared for the way a family pet should be.  Something was clearly wrong with four of the five puppies that caused them to change. 

There is some interesting research being done concerning chemical imbalance and even mental illness in animals.  In the wild these animals likely would not survive however with domestic pets people tend to overlook the signs that something is not right.  They do not exhibit the same symptoms thus are often misunderstood and not given the proper treatment.  It is still very early in the research hopefully it will be able to help with some pets.

Esteemed Contributor

On this subject - there has been contoversy regarding the breed in a jurisdiction in my general area (not specific to where I live, but in the region at large).

I have no comment either way, but the major metro paper kept showing a photo of a "pittie" named "Gotti".  I thought the ironic name did not help the breed proponents at all.

I also remember reading an instance of a dog on child attack; the dog was put down.  When an autopsy was done, a pencil was found shoved down the dog's ear.  No wonder the dog attacked.

This is a never-ending controversy, but as a dog lover I don't think I'd have one.  Same with the Cane Corso.   I find that a scary dog.

Cogito ergo sum