Honored Contributor

Re: pit bull attacks 4 year old boy in Detroit

@kelsey17 wrote:

The best article i have ever read was about a woman who owned a pitbull with her family and said they had the dog for a number of years and  he was the nicest, gentlest dog.....and then she said "until he wasn't".....the dog attacked......................a neighbor i had rescued a pitbull mix and claimed the same thing for 3 years....until the dog attacked his wife..........................there is a REASON pittbulls are banned in many countries....they have seen the light...unfortunately the US hasn't followed their lead.....and many people will suffer because of it.....

We had neighbors a few years back behind us that moved in with 3 large dogs...a collie a lab and a pitbull.  We couldn't go in our backyard with the pitbull trying to jump the fence and growling at us the WHOLE time.......the pitbull actually was hit by a car when he spotted a woman doing her daily walk across the street from his house and he managed to charge and get through the driveway gate and LUCKILY for that woman a car was coming down the road at the same time......I thanked God for watching over her that day.....................

Pit Bulls are banned in 12 countries around the world: New Zealand, Brazil, Belgium, Canada, France, Finland, Denmark, Poland, Norway, and the U. S. territory of Puerto Rico. The lack of U. S. government's concern regarding the danger of pit bull breeds is disheartening and disturbing.

That's what I've always heard, too, @kelsey17 , that they're wonderful dogs until one day they aren't.  I know many people that think they are wonderful misunderstood dogs.  I think it's horrific that some are bred to fight and that they are abused.  I would still be scared to own one or to keep one for someone.  I don't trust them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@kelsey17 

Look up the top breeds for dog bites, you may be surprised.

Like my Daddy always said, any dog with teeth will bite, under the right or wrong circumstances.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Kingston and I are really surprised that you feel this way, you've never expressed this sentiment before, in fact, quite the opposite.

But as the saying goes, eventually people teach you who they really are.

peaceout.jpg

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

LOVE ME SOME PITTIES...and feel for the breed which is relentlessly abused for sport.

I despise most people - but love dogs - all creatures really...all animals.

Honored Contributor

The trouble with adopting a dog from a shelter or source where you can't research the animal's background and history is that you might get a dog that is inherently aggressive.   Pit bulls can and are often bred for generations to enhance their aggressive qualities.  You pick a cute pup from a litter at a shelter; how do you know you're not getting one of these dog?  Some dogs, like some people are more aggressive than others.

You can treat such a dog with the utmost kindness, socialize it and give it obedience training but the fact is, if it was bred to be aggressive, it could "snap" at any point in its life and attack a person or other animal.

I don't know of any other than the "bully" breeds that are bred to be aggressive.  This is why I would not own or keep one unless I  knew it had come from a responsible breeder.  I definitely would want to meet and observe a pup's parents.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I've seen some beautiful and sweet pit bulls, but I don't trust them and would never own one.  People keep saying "it's not the dog, it's how it's raised or treated or whatever", but these stories always seem to be about that particular breed.  

Having said that, I would probably never own a rottweiler or doberman either.  They also have aggressive personalities.  

Honored Contributor

In spite of the media hype to highlight any attack by a pit bull (after all, do you ever read about a Collie or Cocker Spaniel attack?), the truth is out there if you look for it.

This is but one site of many:

These two lists are based on the Dog Breed Info Center(R)'s dog bite survey which ran from May 23rd 2013 to January 19th 2016, counting dog on human bites. We pulled the more popular breeds from the very long list and factored in the popularity ratio. Below are 10 breeds that bit the most and 10 breeds that bit the least.

10 Dog Breeds with the Most Bites

Based on our surveys these are the dog breeds that bit the most taking the popularity ratio into consideration. These are dog on human bites only. They do not include dog on dog.

Akita

American Cocker Spaniel

Australian Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler)

Chow Chow

Collie

Dalmatian

German Shepherd

Jack Russell Terrier

Lhasa Apso

Rottweiler

Based on our surveys these are the dog breeds that bit the least taking the popularity ratio into consideration. These are dog on human bites only. They do not include dog on dog.

https://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/dogbitesurveymostleast.htm

Esteemed Contributor

A neighbor had a Pit bull. They had just moved in and I was walking my Jack Russells around the circle. Their daughter who was about four years old was holding it on a leash. We turned around. It was too strong for her.
  This kept up for months until he broke free and was circling us. I was screaming "NO"!  Their son about 9 couldn't catch him and finally the father came out. 
  I explained that the dog was too strong for the kids and their faces were low. 
  It happened again, and I told him if he bit me there  would be a lawsuit. 
   They kept it in awhile but got rid of it because someone else was bitten.

THEN they got another. The son walked it with a cell phone! They moved and I'm so glad!

My son had two greyhounds. A friend was staying at his house and had a pit. The dogs were watching my son out the door when there was a fight. His larger greyhound was protecting his space and the other greyhound was bitten in the throat by the pit. He almost died. My granddaughter was 6 and I was afraid for her. The pit should have never come to the house.
     This continued until his large greyhound had to be put down because of aggression and the third dog there. SAD! 

There are bad dogs because people don't use good judgement. And,yes there are breeding problems.

I love dogs including pits but people need to realize that they are dogs and think as such. My trainer said that a dogs brain is as large as a nut and to remember it's a dog!

Esteemed Contributor

Those are interesting lists @KingstonsMom .  Years ago I had a cable guy come to my house to do some work.  When he saw my collie, he asked if I could put him in another room while he worked.  He said collies were among the leading dogs to bite.  I obliged, of course, but secrectly rolled my eyes and thought "this guy is nuts".  

I've been a life long collie owner.  I can't imagine one ever viciously attacking a person.  I've had a few who were nippers, but collie's are herding dogs and it is instinctual for them to ******.  I'm surprised to see them on the list.  

Seeing this list reminds me of a few other dogs I'd never own:  Akitas, Chow Chows, and German Shepherds.  I don't trust any of them either.  I suppose a lot of what we believe has to do with experiences we've had throughout our lives with various dogs.  As a child, I was bitten (in the face) by a German Shepherd, so I've always been leary of them.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my gosh, the word  "n i p" was bleeped from my post.  Sigh