Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss...

The one thing none of us know is how long our lives will be. Someone who is 20 may not live to see another new year.

Make the most of every minute you have. You are absolutely not too old for another fur child. Save a life, give someone a home they might never have had  and lavish him/her with love and companionship. Just think about the breed and age that would best for you. 

I lost my fur child earlier this week so understand a bit of your plight.. My husband and I have no children and are older than you. When the tears subside, I see a new family member on the horizon. ..

Hugs..

Occasional Contributor

I say go for it but make sure you want the work a pup requires. My husband and I got a beagle pup in January 2020.  I was 67 and he was 72. His health wasn't great but mine is so I did all the walking, middle of night potty trips, etc. She was a wild child but the two of them really bonded.  My husband took his life in April. The dog saw him do it and although I don't think she knew what he was doing she knew that he was never in our home anymore. Four months down the road she just seemed so sad.  I think she deserved a happy home with more activity. I found the perfect situation for her through my vet, so although it broke my heart I gave her to get new family last week.  My only condition was that if it didn't work out the dog would come back to me. So now I'm totally alone as we had no family. I'm taking a break to get some rest and then want to get an older dog.  Like others have said I think having a fur baby is great for us, especially when we're older. They need companionship and so do we. We need the purpose they give us.  

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols 

Have you considered getting a cat?  Different, and could be a real joy.   Doesn't need to be walked four times a day, either.  Give it some thought.  Cat Very Happy

Regular Contributor

Absolutely. Do it, 60 is not old and you will give a dog waiting out there a wonderful life.  I have a 14 year old dog and would love to rescue.  Seems lots of rescues insist on a fenced yard so we will have to wait until our new home is finished as we are in a rental.  We can't predict the future but we can enjoy present so find your new companion and give him or her the love they deserve.  Good luck finding your new fur baby.

Respected Contributor

Re: pet ownership

[ Edited ]

@Boomernichols ,My dogs are 9 and 10.  Cat is about 12.  I also have 2 horses, 14 & 5) and a goat that I keep at my friend's farm.

After I turned 60 I thought more about what would happen to them if I passed, especially the horses since there are horror stories all over the internet about horses going to slaughter once their older owners die. Not everyone has the space, knowledge, time and willingness to take in a horse.  Thankfully my 14 yr old horse is a unicorn. Smiley Wink  He's the kind everyone wants and seldom sells. I can put a beginner on him and he'll keep them safe, in the ring and on the trail.  Three people I ride with, all younger than me, have offered to take him if need be.  So he'll be fine.  The younger horse is still coming along but has promise.

Anyway, I made a plan for each animal and asked someone I trust if they'd be willing to take in that animal if I passed.  Once that was settled I felt much better.  Maybe this type of plan will help settle your mind and leave you free to enjoy a new canine companion.  Just a thought.

Esteemed Contributor

We had to fill out an application...that's how they knew how old we were...

Hubby stiil has all his hair....but it is white......that probably gave it away.

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols  A puppy? No Thankyou! I think a rescue pup or adopted  from a shelter...even a rehoming situation. Get a dog all house trained and out of the puppy stage.  I now only adopt dogs at least one year old.   As far as your age....my DH and are Child FREE also, and 65. We have two pups...a rehome pup and a rescue from Mexico. They were older when we got them ....about 3 years old. Yes, I guess anything could happen....but, I feel the love they give me and the exercise is the best thing for my health. 

Respected Contributor

It is good to see all the comments, because these thoughts demonstrate how important animals are in our lives.

And yes, sixty these days is quite young to adopt a puppy, and you will be a wonderful pet mother again.

I do agree that rescuing unwanted dogs is very kind, but I have also experienced difficulty in the process with some rescue organizations making over-the-top demands.  I actually had a lady ask me if I would allow the dog to sleep on the bed with me every night.  The answer was no--the cats stay with me at night! I told her perhaps she should just keep the dog herself as they seemed very attached.

I find it much more efficient to bring a purchased puppy to my home so I can have the fur baby adapt to the other animals and I can train him/her to understand all the family rules.  Yes, it is a lot of work to toilet train, etc., but then I will know if I have done a good job or not.

Blessings to you on this pet parent journey.

Honored Contributor

@luvmybonnie 

I am so sorry for both your losses.💔

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @Boomernichols !  We did it!  We got another Westie from a breeder in Texas.  We drove from Vegas to Dallas in three days, picked him up, and took four days to get back.  What a wonderful gift he is.  Not a replacement but a gift from God to heal our hearts.  A bundle of energy that keeps my heart young and wanting to see what he will accomplish, no matter how silly!

im not sure my heart will ever heal from Auggie but Hutch, our new puppy, revives my spirit in ways I can't describe!