Honored Contributor

Re: people or just plain pet food?

Look at all the grain free , very hard to find kibble that has no legumes, peas. I hope some companies come out with more food that is not grain free,

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Older, mature, non-working dogs probably get more protein than they need.  How do you know what your dog's nutritional needs are?  They're quite different from yours.  Your vet needs to quit giving squirrelly nutritional advice.

The squirrelly vets are the ones that sell  the terrible food.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

Our Siberian Husky has trained us well. He gets kibble w/bits of whatever we have had for dinner. 

He turns his nose up at salmon and chicken dog food...but loved the leftover salmon cakes we had for dinner last week as well as chicken and beef. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My dog and cat get strictly pet food.  The only exception was when I had to give my dog some meds and I would wrap the pill in a little ball of cheese.  She eventually got tired of that and I found Milk Bone pill pockets which are chicken flavored and she loves them. 

Esteemed Contributor

Dogs have different nutritional requirements than people.  If feeding only people food as others have said you MUST do your research and make sure you know what you are doing.  There is a difference between surviving and thriving.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

i do both dry kibble and people food.

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

what do you feed your dogs?  i am concerned over all the pet food problems so i cook a bit of extra and give my dogs some,  they have been doinggreat on this.  my vet told me that as long as it has eough protein, people food doesn't hurt them.  the reason that the pet food companies say not to give your pet people food is so they can sell more dog food.

besides, what didpeople fedtheir petsbefore they had pet food to purchase?

@shortbreadlover   If the American Diet was as how the farmers and  people use to eat....meat, potatoe....vegetable...bread....Very bland...plain....simple....Human food would be fine. Dogs have adapted to being able to eat scraps...Human  cooked food...it is  just fine.

Problem   today is that the Human  scraps of today are not fit  for dog consumption...too much sugar ..sodium and carb. Too rich and spicy.  No nutrition....So unless you eat a very clean diet....( no  spaghetti....fried food etc) you are best to feed a made for dog "food".

Thus ...America and the big business of DOG CHOW.  

Respected Contributor

My dog eats a fresh cooked food, which I get by subscription, as well as kibble.  I keep him on both, because the kibble is easier to pack and travel with.

The fresh cooked food is called The Farmer's Dog, and I find it to be exceptional.  He loves it too. Smiley Happy

His kibble is Rachael Ray's Just6.

I know people who cook their dog's food, but if you do this you have to be careful to make sure the right vitamins and supplements are added. 

For me, these two foods that I use work well and my dog loves them both.

One thing I will say, is that I have read in numerous sources (including a local pet nutritionist), that it is important to rotate your dog's food every so often.

It isn't good for us to eat chicken every day for the rest of our lives, and it's the same for dogs.

I usually rotate his food within the same brand every 6 mos to a year.  I change brands every so often.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

I learned the hard way to purchase from different companies and mix.  If you feed one brand of food same type all the time , IF something then goes wrong in the processing  you're up a creek.  If the food processed is deficient then your poor Pet is deficient.  I have since used two different brands so as to hopefully cover any deficiencies that may occur. 

PS the 'Kibble" of today is not the same as the Kibble of yesteryear.  Kibble used to be more dense and baked then broken.  it did not look like the pressed puffy dry food you commonly see today.