Respected Contributor

She's a 3 year old Golden and, basically, she smells pretty good... except her feet and paws.  They STINK and always have.  I've tried wiping them well with white vinegar and trying to "clean" them with baby wipes.  If it weren't winter, I would take her out on the deck and immerse each paw in soapy water, scrub gently with a sponge and then rinse.  Has anyone experienced this?  Any ideas/advice?  TIA  Smiley Sad

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Valued Contributor

Re: our doggie's smelly feet

I always thought that dogs had sweat glands in their feet. Everyone (including humans!) has their own unique scent! 'Sorry i don't really know anything about it medically, scientifically, or biologically. I was going to suggest that maybe your Golden's diet has some influence on the scent, but you said it's always been that way and i'm sure her diet has changed somewhat over the past three years.

One thing i do know, is that i have always LOVED the smell of doggy paws! Especially wet doggy feet! LoL Weird, i guess, but when i had dogs i couldn't get enough of it!

Enjoy your Golden! I miss the old days w/ all my puppers, stinky feet and all : )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Honored Contributor

I have a small spaniel mix, @spent2much.  She has a lot of hair on and around her paws.

I learned that when her feet smell like "corn chips" it means there is bacterial growth and then I wash them.  Luckily, she is only about 8 pounds so I can lift her up and wash them in the sink.

I don't know if that is what's happening with your dog, but that's what I learned, for what it's worth.

Can you fill some sort of container with water, put it on the floor, and wash her paws one by one in your kitchen or bathroom?  Maybe a second one for clear water that you could dip into with a plastic cup for rinsing.   Lots of towels on the floor.

(I hope some of this is helpful.  I'm just trying to imagine scenarios that might work.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Regular Contributor

The corn chip smell is normal and I LOVE it!!!! Normal bacteria on our feet is supposed to be there. There is a certain kind of normal skin bacteria that smells just like puppy dog paws. I named it Staphylococcus  puppidogious Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Furgirl wrote:

The corn chip smell is normal and I LOVE it!!!! Normal bacteria on our feet is supposed to be there. There is a certain kind of normal skin bacteria that smells just like puppy dog paws. I named it Staphylococcus  puppidogious Smiley Wink

Yes, there is normal bacteria and much of it is supposed to be there.  That doesn't mean that it is always healthy, especially if it gets out of control.    

That being said, it is the degree of the odor that is of concern. 

And if this is at all part of the OP's dog's issue, then washing the feet will help.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

Our vet said do not put anything on their paws, they sweat through them and leave them alone!

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Can you fill some sort of container with water, put it on the floor, and wash her paws one by one in your kitchen or bathroom?  Maybe a second one for clear water that you could dip into with a plastic cup for rinsing.   Lots of towels on the floor.

(I hope some of this is helpful.  I'm just trying to imagine scenarios that might work.)

@GingerPeach Yes, this would be the way to go, since it's winter and I can't do it outside.  I have back and knee problems, but I think I'll sit on a low stool and enlist hubby's help.

Thanks to each of you for your helpful advice.  I appreciate it. Smiley Very Happy

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Trusted Contributor

My Eskie's feet smell like Fritos! Her fur smells like baby powder, though.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

Dog feet smell -- one of my favorite smells in the world!  Oh my gosh, I remember when my one sweet boy was dying, I just kept inhaling the smell of his paws the day before we put him down.  

Like many other posters, to me they smell like Frito's.  It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside when I smell a dogs paws.  Love it!

Frequent Contributor

I am not sure about doggie feet, but I did have a cat once whose paws smelled like buttered popcorn.  It was a very endearing scent.