Respected Contributor

Re: ok, how do you feel about those commercials

@Mj12

they're just awful and i often leave the room.  if you do donate you're not saving them unless someone comes in and adopts.

Honored Contributor

The ASPCA gets millions in donations; I'm not terribly impressed with how they spend it.   I'd rather support local rescue efforts where 98%  goes toward the animals.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I feel like they're probably effective.

I donate cash to a local rescue group but adopt my babies from the kill shelter; I like saving the ones I can from imminent death...

Honored Contributor

@ladyroxanne sort of O/T - last year I was walking around (DC) and noticed an enormous billboard on the side of an office building - it was an ad for one of those rescue charities.  The billboard was about 3 stories high, and was a huge picture of an emaciated and probably abused dog.  I was so shocked (I guess that was the point).  I changed my route to avoid that.  I don't think stuff like that helps the cause at all.

Respected Contributor

@Mj12

mj, no that wouldn't work for me either.  they're trying to play on our guilt to get donations.  just wrong!

Esteemed Contributor

Another one today.  I watch in tears.  I just hope the ones they show are saved along with the many many others.  

Honored Contributor

I change the channel immediately.  It's too sad.  I have read many things about the ASPCA and where the money goes when you donate.  Very little goes to help the animals like they are picturing in their ads.  I prefer to give to my local shelter where I know it's helping the animals directly.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I agree with those who say to donate locally.  We have a humane shelter out in the country only about 5 miles from us.  They are always needing bleach, kitty litter, etc.  If that is what you can do it's something.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@ladyroxanne sort of O/T - last year I was walking around (DC) and noticed an enormous billboard on the side of an office building - it was an ad for one of those rescue charities.  The billboard was about 3 stories high, and was a huge picture of an emaciated and probably abused dog.  I was so shocked (I guess that was the point).  I changed my route to avoid that.  I don't think stuff like that helps the cause at all.

It is very effective in increasing donations.  Unfortunately those donations do very little for the animals.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can't watch those, no way.Obviously all charities need to be examined before you donate to them.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"