Respected Contributor

ok, how do you feel about those commercials

from the aspc about those poor dogs.  It makrs me sick to my stomach and cry.  i can't stand to watch them.

do you think they do any good?

Super Contributor

Re: ok, how do you feel about those commercials

I can't watch the commercials.  I prefer to give my money to my local SPCA which is a no kill shelter.   That is where my two cats are from.

Respected Contributor

I CANNOT watch them - too sad.  I change the channel the instant I realize what it's about.  I hope it helps them find homes.  I just can't watch.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

I have always hated them.  So manipulative as are most commercials this time of year.  I worry about the elderly on limited incomes donating too much of their money. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

All our dogs are rescues from puppy mills…exactly where those dogs in those heartbreaking commercials are when they are photographed. Horrible, isn’t it? I use to not be able to look and would turn the channel. Now, I make sure we adopt one whenever we are looking to add to the family.

There are a number of rescues that specialize in going to auctions that specialize in puppy mill & shoddy breeder’s unwanted animals. These are the very animals that spend their entire life in a wire cage, are bred over & over without rest, are given no medical care and cheap food that is of poor quality – and little of it. Their puppies are usually sold to pet stores to be sold to unsuspecting customers who don’t know they conditions their puppy comes from. When the breeder animals age out, or produce litters that are too small or sickly, they want to dump them. They used to kill them…they would shoot the big dogs and starve the little dogs. Now, they send them to auction and many animals rescues from around the country make the trek to these auctions to try to buy these animals before other unreputable breeders get chance to buy them cheap. Yes, the puppy mills reap some money for their horrible actions, but at least these animals are alive and have a chance at a new life.

Now we make sure we contribute to helping this particular sector of the growing animal rescue organizations. We give time in fostering, we give money, and we adopt these scared little souls that need so much and are afraid to trust or take anything from you. Like most animals, in time they forgive so much – things humans would never forgive, slowly they open up and learn to trust and in the end the bond is so great and rewarding. My only wish is that we could do more.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

They use the same background  music for the starving children....  sad faces....sad sad sad.  I guess the commercials might open someone's heart to help out that would normally not. Can not hurt. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Absolutely can not watch, and change the channel immediately.

I prefer to Make donations to our local no kill animal shelters.  I hope the commercials do encourage people to donate and help.

Respected Contributor

It breaks my heart to see those.  I have a rescue dog and cat from a local shelter.    Heart

Honored Contributor

@ladyroxanne  I'm not sure the commercials make a difference in donations, but they sure tug at the heart strings to get folks to think about rescuing a pet. If the images don't get you, the songs they choose are definitely a full box of Kleenex.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus

they do tug at your heartstrings and i hope they do get donations.  you're right, the music even if i don't watch it kills me.