Honored Contributor

Re: need a product to stop my dog from chewing

[ Edited ]

@ellaphantwrote:

My new terrier mix rescue likes to chew on items at times. I tried a spray on product from Pet Smart by Nature's Miracle and it doesn;t work. Any successful products out there?

Thanks!

@ellaphant  We mixed lemon juice w/ water to spray on areas Molly should not chew. In the end, she needed to be watched, told NO or crated when I wasn’t able to be with her. Long walks & games to tire bodies and minds also work. @Kachina624 is correct.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedgewrote:

Terriers dig and chew.

It's much easier to teach your dog to do something than to NOT DO, an abstract concept.

So, your job is to teach him what to chew on. 

Ask your vet if he has any recommendations, also if there's anything he/she advises against.

-I had a dog nearly choke to death on a "classic" chew toy, a rawhide chew. His eyes were bugged out and his airway was blocked.

Give him approved chewing toys, make sure he knows they're his to treat as he pleases, and praise him for chewing. 

-that means don't scold him if he buries it later.

When (not If ) you catch him in the act of chewing on your things, calmly remove your thing and replace it with his own thing, saying something calm, like, 'here, Chew On This Instead'. 

They DO learn. However, if you make a scene about it, the lesson he gets is that you're a big, loud, scary thing that's best avoided.

@ellaphant This advice from @x Hedge is absolute PERFECTION!  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

I had an English Shepherd that chewed everything. (his favorite was wood). None of those sprays, etc worked nor did all of my other remedies from previous dogs. Then I found the KONG (USA) rubber toys and treat holders. These things are great! I also found that antlers work well and help with their tooth tarter.

Mine chewed more because he had seperation anxiety and chewed until I came home. Does your dog have an old robe or something of your's to nap on? I tried putting the radio on for him or put an old ticking clock near his bed. They helped a little but his anxiet was severe. he had a lot of issues because his life was awful before we got him. He did finally become a great dog. Most of the time they just need some extra love and attention.

Good Luck.  

Valued Contributor

Apple bitters in a spray will work.  We had an Akita that fell in love with our nightstand.  It worked, not before a corner on the bottom was missing.  He was worth it.

Honored Contributor

bitter apple works, but it depends on the reason for the chewing. A bored dog will just move to something else to chew. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

Another fan of the bitter apple spray. 

I think it is worth a try.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like he/she does need more walks or runs. I have five rescue dogs I use a jar fill it with quarters and shake it when they do something bad. I also buy them the dog toy Kong which is a hard plastic red toy they chew on. I put peanut butter inside as a treat for them and they love it. The shaking of the jar makes them stop the bad habits so they will not do it again. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Fressawrote:

I had an English Shepherd that chewed everything. (his favorite was wood). None of those sprays, etc worked nor did all of my other remedies from previous dogs. Then I found the KONG (USA) rubber toys and treat holders. These things are great! I also found that antlers work well and help with their tooth tarter.

Mine chewed more because he had seperation anxiety and chewed until I came home. Does your dog have an old robe or something of your's to nap on? I tried putting the radio on for him or put an old ticking clock near his bed. They helped a little but his anxiet was severe. he had a lot of issues because his life was awful before we got him. He did finally become a great dog. Most of the time they just need some extra love and attention.

Good Luck.  

I would be very careful when your dog is chewing on that, they can splinter and he can swallow them. ALso my vet says it can crack there teeth. Just a heads up for you.

Respected Contributor

Kongs and exercise!

Buy several Kongs and fill with peanutbutter or cream cheese, etc mixed with treats and frozen.  There are lots of recipes on how to stuff a Kong.

He can lick and chew on the Kong for hours. 

We still use Kongs when we have workers, guests or busy projects going on and we need to keep the dogs busy and "out of the way" 

They love their Kongs - they each have there own strategies for getting at their treats out of the Kong  Smiley Happy

Lots of walks help burn off nervous energy!  Tired pups sleep well!

Esteemed Contributor

i don't purchase the split antlers. I buy the whole ones which are better with German Shelphers. I buy deer. The type of antler moose, elk, etc. have different densities which works with the different jaw pressures of the dog breeds.