Honored Contributor

my cat is CONSTANTLY scratching and licking , chewing on herself

any thoughts about this? she has chewed  a stripe down her back ---again., as well as ALWAYS licking and chewing her paws. Have taken her to the vet for this and have changed her food to one with few ingredients with  no fish or chicken. She is an indoor cat so no fleas. Was doing better, but now back into this routine-she gets no people food and very little treats. I know allergies are a thing and prob boredom too---drives me insane!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: my cat is CONSTANTLY scratching and licking , chewing on herself

My best guess would be allergies such as pollen coming into the home, open windows, doors or on shoes.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@wagirl  I feel sorry for her.  Something is bothering her especially if she never did this before and all of sudden started doing this.  Did anything in her diet change?  Did the vet check her for fleas?  I know she is an indoor cat but you never know.  I hope you find out what it is otherwise get a new Vet.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@wagirl 

If you have changed out her food (and treats) what kind of litter is she using?

Honored Contributor

If you took the cat to the vet what did he/she tell you?   confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Try changing the brand of litter you use, my cat does best with  scent free, low dust....I don't buy lightweight either. Good luck.

Regular Contributor

Try some calming diffusers. Just plug into a wall outlet and they truly do wonders. I purchased them from Amazon.com. Otherwise, please get her to the vet and perhaps suggest a prescription of Prozac. My sister's cat had similar issues to yours and the Prozac has really been successful! I hope she starts improving very soon.❤🙏

Valued Contributor

I have read that diffusers can be harmful to animals.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1---yes she always gets checked for fleas and flea debris---none ever are found----changed her diet to one with  limited ingredients and no grains and no fish/chicken which is a big allergy trigger. the fam, 3 including me, are all home 24/7 now---just her and me before all this virus thing-----think she needs kitty prozac myself--I might join her  Cat Wink Just gave her a people antihistamine as per the vet------

Honored Contributor

@LaurenCats4 wrote:

Try some calming diffusers. Just plug into a wall outlet and they truly do wonders. I purchased them from Amazon.com. Otherwise, please get her to the vet and perhaps suggest a prescription of Prozac. My sister's cat had similar issues to yours and the Prozac has really been successful! I hope she starts improving very soon.❤🙏

DD has tried several brands of those 'calming' diffusers with ZERO results, a total waste of money.

She decided you can't believe a lot of the hype found on FB.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.