Honored Contributor

Re: my cat is CONSTANTLY scratching and licking , chewing on herself

@wagirl wrote:

@lolakimono---litter is the same------thought about that too--changed brands a few times but that didn't affect her--food is few ingredients , no grains, no fish or chicken----in both dry and wet food. No people food or treats. Maybe she needs a "pet" to focus on -Cat Tongue---had blood work done--all normal but wondering if an allergy test would be in order--but that is for a time when all that can happen again-----

@wagirl   Have you discussed this animal's problems with a vet?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Sammycat1 ---yes she was seen by vet for her teeth cleaning a month ago.all went well, no rotten teeth all labs were normal. Like I said before, the other 2 in the fam are home now, besides me. All are adults----well for the most part----Man Wink

@wagirl 

Did they do a physical exam of her body (apart from her teeth). If not, take her back in.

A lot can happen in a month.  Just FYI, some vets are finding that gabapentin in low doses can help allergic dermatitis if that's the cause.  It sounds like you need to take her in and go through the step-by-step assessment necessary to find the culprit.  She's got to be terribly uncomfortable.  I hope you find a solution soon!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 --- she had a full senior cat physical along

with blood work before her teeth were done. Very interesting about the gabapentin. I took that after chemo for neuropathy issues. Will ask about that. Thanks

Respected Contributor

@D KayIF you mean the air freshener  diffuser You are right . I believe the other poster was recommending a diffuser especially formulated with ingredients meant to Calm the stress in a cat.  They also have wipes and sprays to spot treat problem areas. 

Contributor

I can only answer as a dog owner. We used Apoquel and it worked great for our dog. Stopped the scratching and rubbing. I would check to see if they have it for cats. I was hesitant at first but it worked great. We gave her half a pill a day. Good luck.

Regular Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@LaurenCats4 wrote:

Try some calming diffusers. Just plug into a wall outlet and they truly do wonders. I purchased them from Amazon.com. Otherwise, please get her to the vet and perhaps suggest a prescription of Prozac. My sister's cat had similar issues to yours and the Prozac has really been successful! I hope she starts improving very soon.❤🙏

DD has tried several brands of those 'calming' diffusers with ZERO results, a total waste of money.

She decided you can't believe a lot of the hype found on FB.

The calming diffusers were recommended by my veterinarian, not FB. Well, in any case, they work for us.  Prozac twice daily may be a more viable option for you.  Prayers that she improves very soon. 🙏🙏🙏