Trusted Contributor

my cat almost gave me a heart attack this morning.

I was laying in bed, reading the newspaper, when BooBoo began to cough and choke so loud you could have heard him nexxt door.I thought, "OMG! this is it!"

I grabbed the nearest thing I could find for him to barf on and unfortunately it was the sports section of the newspaper. I love sports writers; I think they produce some of the best writing around. And since the Mariners squeaked out a win in the 10th or 12th inning (I forget which), I  wanted to read what the local sportswriters (especially my favorite, Larry Stone)  had to say.

Oh well, it's better than having to scrub the carpet or launder my bedspread; as long as my baby boy is ok, I don't mind all that much.

Respected Contributor

Re: my cat almost gave me a heart attack this morning.

Every cat I have ever known threw up now and then.  Either hairballs (I call 'em hair cigars, coz of the shape), or because they eat too much or too fast.  Gross everytime.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I have a cat who barfs about every other day!  She's runined my wall to wall carpeting in all of the rooms!  It's unbelievable the way it stains my carpeting.  You name it, I've bought it to try to clean the carpeting.  My friend cleaned the carpet while I was in rehab for my knees and it helped somewhat.

I'd get it all replaced but she'll puke on the new carpet.  She has long fur and sometimes it's furballs but the vet said she just has a sensitive stomach.  I have bought special food, nothing makes much difference.  So I clean it up and that's it!

She's the cat who's afraid of her own shadow.  I can't even pick her up that she doesn't run away.  My friend who was with me when I got her and her supposedly brother (Bill) says no one else would put up with her but I do love her.  You have no idea what I go through when it comes to trapping her to get her to the Vet....it's a process.

Anyway, she also will eat plastic bags.  I can't leave anything plastic or paper anywhere or she'll eat it (it also makes her puke and is dangerous).  She won't eat any of the medicine made for furballs, so that's out too.

Some cats have something called pika.  People have it but they usually eat chalk. 

Anyway, I'm glad you don't have to experience it on a regular basis because it is upsetting to hear them hacking and coughing like they're dying.  Ha!  It's just part of being a cat owner.

I'm glad your cat is doing well.  He has a good mommy!HeartSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Oh brother - even your ID has cat in it.  LOL   I thought a sick 15 year old dog was bad enough to clean up after.........but your posting reminds me why I'm an ex-animal owner.  (never owned a cat)

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

annabelle, he barfs all the time. I've asked his vet about it and she says it's pretty normal for some cats; it's just what they do. The reason I get concerned about Boo is that he's 14 years old and starting to show his age.

I really DID think it was "the end" this morning; scared me half to death. I'm so relieved that he's ok.

And have you noticed how cats like to puke on soft material like carpet? We have some hardwood flooring in our house but BooBoo wouldn't dream of puking on it. My theory is that they need to get a grip on something that will hold them in place and carpet with do that; hardwood floors could cause them to slide all over the place.