Highlighted
Regular Contributor

My Toy Manchester Terrier had this and it spread.  We had him on chemo for 21 months.  I was happy we got this extra time with him.  It was a nasty cancer.

Respected Contributor

Yes, my dog had mast cell cancer in the roof of her mouth. I'm not going to go into much detail (I'm tearing up as I type) but if you would like to ask any questions, that's fine. Years earlier she had a mast cell tumor removed from her leg. They got clear margins and classified it as a grade 2 tumor. My vet did not suggest any further treatment at that time. BTW, mast cell tumors in the mouth are not very common, and unlike other areas of the body can be hard to remove completely. Anyway, that's all I say for now.

Wishing you and your dog well,

pupwhipped     

Contributor

My Precious is 12 and does have a heart murmor. My vet said we could see a oncologist, but that doesn't mean she would be a canidate for it. I told him since she is 12 and has a heart murmor, I would not put her through it. He said if she makes it to the 6 month without it coming back we could be safe it isn't coming back. He did say about the surgery he did he thought he was getting it all without disfiguring her. i have always owned cockers and have one now. I adopted her 8yrs. ago in Dec. when my 10 yr. old cocker died from a mass in his lungs. I would like to say with my southern hospitality thank-you so much for the kind words and information.

Honored Contributor

Good luck with your "baby".

Honored Contributor

I hope all goes well with Precious and the tumor does not return.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

My mini poodle had a mast cell tumor a little over two years ago.  It was located in the "armpit" region high on upper leg.  My furbaby's was a 2- not real aggressive.  My vet removed itt but did not get clear margins.  It was difficult as there was not alot of skin to work with.

We ended up taking her to Tufts Veterinary Hospital which is top notch and very specialized in many areas.  The surgeon redid the surgery and, this time, he was able to get clear margins! It was tough and both the surgeon and I were elated when he got the news!

You may have to go to a larger hospital.  Good luck with your baby!

Esteemed Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

Yes, my dog had mast cell cancer in the roof of her mouth. I'm not going to go into much detail (I'm tearing up as I type) but if you would like to ask any questions, that's fine. Years earlier she had a mast cell tumor removed from her leg. They got clear margins and classified it as a grade 2 tumor. My vet did not suggest any further treatment at that time. BTW, mast cell tumors in the mouth are not very common, and unlike other areas of the body can be hard to remove completely. Anyway, that's all I say for now.

Wishing you and your dog well,

pupwhipped     

Good to see your post, but not the subject, of course.  I had a dog that a tumor removed from the roof of his mouth.  I noticed it one day when I was scratching his belly.  He was on his back with his mouth wide open.  I thought he had a hunk of carrot stuck on the roof of his mouth......that is what it looked like.  Anyway it was removed and the vet said "that sucker will never come back" and it didn't.  That dog, my Macey, lived to be 15 years old, the longest of all my OES.  He was a good boy.  Anyway, I understand the tears coming because it is happening to me.  Gone, but never forgotten.  This was 34 years ago....seems like yesterday.

Hope all is well with you.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Praying for good news at the 6 month mark, @georgia dawgs.  You sound like a very good dog mommy.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

My last beagle had two mast cell tumors. With the second, the vet thought she was a goner but that was wrong. Penny survived both surgeries and lived for several years longer, dying from a cometely différent cause.