Contributor

I don't post much on forums. My chiweenie had a tumor removed from under her upper lip last Tuesday. The vet called me yesterday, the pathologist report was positive for a mass cell tumor. I would like to know if anyone has had a pet with this.

Honored Contributor

@georgia dawgs  Welcome to the boards.  I hope you'll post here often.  I'm sorry your dog has this diagnosis.  I've never had a dog with a mast cell tumor, but did look it up.  Here is a link that has quite a bit of information:  https://www.vet.upenn.edu/docs/default-source/ryan/oncology-handouts/final-canine-mct.pdf?sfvrsn=4

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@georgia dawgs Hi.  Yes, my English Bulldog had several mast cell tumors in her life in various spots on her body.  We had all of them removed.  If the doctor can remove it with clear margins, no further treatments should be necessary.  If they can't get clear margins, they might want to do radiation treatments.  You said the tumor was already removed?  Do you know if they got clear margins?  

Contributor

My vet said the pathologist report showed he didn't get all of it.

Valued Contributor

Did he tell you what he might want to do next?

Honored Contributor

@georgia dawgs wrote:

My vet said the pathologist report showed he didn't get all of it.

@georgia dawgs  If he didn't get it all, then he needs to do it again and take wider margins.  Didn't he suggest that?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

georgia dawgs,  I feel in my heart that he will be alright.  I will pray for him and you.  Give him some hugs and kisses from me, SC

Honored Contributor

Our girl did and we had it removed. She didn't have any after that.

Sometimes they will get more and sometimes no more at all.

Some breeds get them.

Did he say why he didn't get all of it?

That would make me upset. Unless there was a special reason. He should have told you why and what he planned to do about it.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

My shih tzu girl had mass cell tumors.  The vet absolutely has to get clear margins or this stuff will come back.  My girl had one on her chest removed.  Then one popped up in her "armpit" which wasn't operable.  Then many more popped up.  We tried chemo, but it didn't work.  I was told that new advances are being made in treatment for this disease because it is more common, but hard to treat.

If your vet isn't doing more to help, absolutely go to someone else immediately.  You need to act quickly.

Respected Contributor

Mast cell tumors are the most aggressive and fatal skin tumors dogs get!  Even with clear margins chemo is sometimes needed.  I had one rescue foster dog get one on his sheath, and because of the location, clear margins were not possible.  After surgery, the dog was put on prednisone, since Mast Cell cancer is inflammatory in nature.  Thankfully, six weeks later the mast cell tumor had not come back and so we were able to wean the dog off prednisone, and he lived a relatively full lifespan and died of lymphoma. 

If your dog does not have clear margins on their surgical sites, please talk to your vet about further treatment, whether surgical or chemotherapeutic.  Depending on your dog's age and condition, and any other medical conditions she has, you can choose the best options for her, even if  it is just palliative care.  Good luck, I am sorry your poor dog has to face such a nasty cancer!