Trusted Contributor

lost my best friend on nov 5

i had to have my best friend freckles put to sleep on nov 5, 2019  she was between 12 and 14 years old. 

she become ill and i took her to the vet and they did not know wha twas wrong with her but that she was very sick.. she was also blind.  so i elected to give her back to God rather then let her suffer.  if am upset with teh vet because they charged  me $50.00 to tell me that she was ill and they did not know w hat was wrong but it would cost $5,000 to find out and that even iof they did all the test, they weren't  sure      due to her age that they could help her.

so i did what i hope was the best thing. for her.

she had neve ever been away from me and if she had all the test done, and they could not help her,she would have been put through the tests for nothing. so given her age, her blindness ect, i had a choice.  but i feel that i have betrayed my best friend.

the vet had gone to vet school, so they had an idea what was wrong but i feel that they wanted to pad the bill. i am so upset with this. but i think i did the right thing.

Respected Contributor

Re: lost my best friend on nov 5

I know how you feel, @shortbreadlover , but you gave Freckles a good life full of love and affection.  I also had a dog that was blind for 2yrs before she went to heaven.

I will say a little prayer for Freckles tonight.  She is not alone, she is in God's arms now and will wait for you to join her someday.

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Respected Contributor

My heart goes out to you.

But, please know in your heart, that they did not charge you $50 to tell you she was ill and they did not know what to do.  They charged you for their time, their supplies and overhead, and their  caring most of all.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

thank you.  i got her in 2009 on the day before thanksgiving.  she was a rescue and i loved her somuch.  i have cried every day and ponder ifi did the right thing.  i know she was old but still,  idid not want her to leave me

Trusted Contributor

i know that they have to charge for their time but i feel thatthey did not have to want to do all sorts of tests,  a good vet can usually have a good idea what what is wrong and all the tests are for is to cover their behind in case  something goes wrong.

i know, i sound bitter  i feel that they do not need to do $5,000 worth of tests before they have an idea what is wrong

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover -

I am so sorry! I think you absolutely did the best and most loving thing for Freckles. I would have done the same. She didn't have to go through all of that and it would have been so hard to leave her for you and her.

I know how sad it is to lose your best friend. I still celebrate mine on their heaven birthdays.I feel their spirits close to me every day. A big gentle hug for you!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

thank you  i guess i aam discouraged because i have been through somuch this year.

Honored Contributor

You did what was the last loving act of kind-ness and love for your little one.  It's painful and I hope soon it gets better for you.  

Valued Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

i had to have my best friend freckles put to sleep on nov 5, 2019  she was between 12 and 14 years old. 

she become ill and i took her to the vet and they did not know wha twas wrong with her but that she was very sick.. she was also blind.  so i elected to give her back to God rather then let her suffer.  if am upset with teh vet because they charged  me $50.00 to tell me that she was ill and they did not know w hat was wrong but it would cost $5,000 to find out and that even iof they did all the test, they weren't  sure      due to her age that they could help her.

so i did what i hope was the best thing. for her.

she had neve ever been away from me and if she had all the test done, and they could not help her,she would have been put through the tests for nothing. so given her age, her blindness ect, i had a choice.  but i feel that i have betrayed my best friend.

the vet had gone to vet school, so they had an idea what was wrong but i feel that they wanted to pad the bill. i am so upset with this. but i think i did the right thing.

I am so sorry for your loss.  I know exactly how you feel as I just went through this same thing this past February.  My Jasmine (kitty) who was between 12-13 started out with a cough and sneexing, I took her to one vet who said it was allergies because it did not start until after we found our little street rescue kitty who at the time was just a kitten.  This vet put her on steroids which did not do much good, so we too her to our vet, we could not get her into him the day we wanted to so that is why we took her to the other vet who put  her on steroids.  She just kept losing weight and by the time wwe took her back to our vet, she had lost over 4 plounds in as many months.  At that time he found 2 fairly large lumps in her belly.  I did not want to let her go but also did not want to put her through a bunch of testing to see if it was cancer.  I really feel it was, just for the fact that she was losing weight so fast, at the end she had lost almost 2 lbs. in just 2 weeks.  It was one of the hardest things I have ever done but I just couldn't let her suffer.  The really hard part was that  she still had some spunk left in her and fought the vet as he tried to take her out of the carrier.  I kow I did the right thing but to this day there are times I still question myself, I feel llike I let her down.  My head knows I did the right thing but my heart has had a hard time coming to grips with that.  I know this does't help you much but it really does sound like you did the right thing even if your heart is having a hard time.  Tellling your fur babies goodbye is so hard.  My thoughts and prayers go out to you.  Hugs.

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover   Freckles went back to God knowing that you loved her heart and soul.  Just think, she is on the other side of the rainbow bridge and she can see now Heart 

I know that you are going to miss having her here with you however please don't second guess your decision.  It's the most self less and loving thing you can do.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise