Trusted Contributor

surgrey to remove a fox tail from his foot.  i just want to warn everyone to check your petsfor them.  they can really cuase a lot of problems.  we hada cocker that would get them in his ears and they had to be removed

Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

surgrey to remove a fox tail from his foot.  i just want to warn everyone to check your petsfor them.  they can really cuase a lot of problems.  we hada cocker that would get them in his ears and they had to be removed

Bless his heart...! Glad he's ok!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

Your poor fur baby!  I never heard of this. Learn something new everyday. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks so much for the “heads up” I had no idea it could be that serious. I will keep a closer watch.  Hope all is well now.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry he had to go through this.  I knew they were hard to remove but didn't realize it might be necessary to have emergency surgery for them.  I'm not sure I've ever seen foxtails.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

I went straight to Google, @shortbreadlover , because I never heard of such a thing.

I entered  What are fox tails

and my jaw dropped as I watched a video of a vet removing them from deep within some pet's ear canal!

It said they work their way into the skin on any part of the body.

After checking my sheaf of dried decorative grasses I have decided to trash then immediately. My cat's always been unusually fond of it.

Thank you for the new information, and best wishes to Kirby.

Respected Contributor

I hope your pet will be ok. This post caught my eye because my first and only pet cat was named Kirby and it made me think of her, she is in kitty heaven now. 

Esteemed Contributor

Also be careful with the wee females who crouch low.  They can get them up their little girl part and it is so sad.  Takes surgery and get infected.

Honored Contributor

Good to hear that Kirby is recovering and will be well.  Good mommy!

Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover  Thanks for posting this.  I hope that Kirby is feeling much better tonight.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!