Esteemed Contributor

Royal Canin and Fromm's Gold are the best, imho.  But, now I'm using American Journey a brand Chewy made up after they were bought out by Petsmart because Fromm's would no longer sell to them.  

It's comparable to the aforementioned brands with excellent reviews on the dog site.  And so far, so good.  Eddy was okay with his first bag; and, got the beef with sweet potato this time, which he loves!

As @tends2dogs suggested yogurt is also good.  I include "people" food also - lots of fruits and veggies.  I've only had large pups so can't really advise which brands to buy but suggest you contact Chewy - the reps are very personable and helpful, definitely never pushy.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: kibble for aging girl?

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624   No, actually, I am not kidding.  You have been fortunate plus I am sure that you buy a better grade kibble.  You have to admit though, that kibble smells horrid.  At least that is my opinion.  And kibble eaters tend to have bad breath.  Again, my opinion.....not trying to provoke an argument, just a conversation.  

As far as soft food promoting loss of teeth, that is a myth.  My dog is two years old, has never eaten kibble, only soft and raw, and his teeth are spotless.  He also has good breath. 

To each their own.  That is why there are so many choices out there.   

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Kachina624   No, actually, I am not kidding.  You have been fortunate plus I am sure that you buy a better grade kibble.  You have to admit though, that kibble smells horrid.  At least that is my opinion.  And kibble eaters tend to have bad breath.  Again, my opinion.....not trying to provoke an argument, just a conversation.  

As far as soft food promoting loss of teeth, that is a myth.  My dog is two years old, has never eaten kibble, only soft and raw, and his teeth are spotless.  He also has good breath. 

@tends2dogs  I have to respectfully disagree with you about kibble.  I have fed kibble to both my dogs and cats for 30 years.  My dog eats Wellness, and it does not smell bad.  I've never bought a rancid bag of kibble, and none of my pets have ever had bad breath.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Re: kibble for aging girl?

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@tends2dogs  I have to respectfully disagree with you about kibble.  I have fed kibble to both my dogs and cats for 30 years.  My dog eats Wellness, and it does not smell bad.  I've never bought a rancid bag of kibble, and none of my pets have ever had bad breath.

@NickNack@and @Kachina624 This is why I enjoy this forum (most of the time Smiley Happy ) because we can all give our opinion in a respectful manner.  I have learned alot on this forum.  I don't always agree with every post and quite obviously many don't agree with every one of my posts. 

Apparently kibble has changed.  I quit buying it back in the 90's because when I opened a bag, the smell was revolting.  I don't even remember the brand, but I do know that there wasn't the array of choices back then that there are now.  It sounds as if standards have been raised and this is a good thing for our pets.  See, I learned something. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

There's a dehydrated food called Honest Kitchen which you mix with water into a slurry.  I think you can order samples on their website.  Or moisten the kibble a while before pup eats so it will be soft.  No harm in baby food gravy either.

Both my Cavaliers are on Honest Kitchen, they love it. And it smells good

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

Does it come in canned?  I would never feed kibble.  Too much chance for being rancid.  I would choose the best quality, least amount of ingredients canned food that I could afford.

Does your girl like yogurt or cottage cheese?  I would offer these, too, in a separate bowl.

All the best to you, @CJC, and your girl.

@tends2dogs.  Are you serious?  I bet I've bought over 1,000 bags of dog food kibble in my lifetime and never had one rancid nor do know anybody with such a complaint......and I run with dog people.  Kibble is the best for healthy teeth.  Dogs fed a soft diet tend to have NO teeth in old age.

Total misconception about kibble being good for teeth.  Does chewing on a pretzel clean your teeth?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@CJC wrote:

Tiny 6 pound girl nearly 14 years old.  Not many teeth left; has always been a picky eater.  Vet suggests Royal Canin x-small for aging dogs.  Friend's vet suggested mixing in Gerber chicken baby food with kibble because baby food is easy to digest.  Anyone use Royal Canin?  I'd love suggestions on how to get my tiny furbaby to take in more calories.

Honestly, at 14 I would let her have whatever she wanted. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Frequent Contributor

I've been blessed with 5 yorkies not so blessed that two were really sick.  Talk to your vet about perscription AD   This delicious (?) food can be lapped up.  My vet said it's patae for dogs.  It actually kept both dogs alive for a long tiime and became the only food they would eat.  

Frequent Contributor

don't believet this.  PRIMARY find a nutritous diet for sweet dog.  If he or she does not want to chew there are alternatives.  They are not your 3 year old child so find what works.