Esteemed Contributor

Re: just adopted a sweet grey tabby cat

Pretty kitty!

How kind of you to give her a home.  It's so traumatizing for pets when their lives are uprooted.

When we brought our current rescue dog home, he ran upstairs and then cowered in a corner when we tried to get him back down to eat and go outside.

Well, that ended quickly.  He sussed us out and took charge!  Great dog.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

What a pretty girl!

We adopted a rescue cat last year.  She had been surrendered from a neglect situation.  It look much longer than I anticipated for her to acclimate to us.  Our bossy resident cat didn't help.  Be patient.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for adopting. She's really cute!  She doesn't look too overweight.  

Since she's the only pet in your house it should be really easy to feed her what/amount the vet recommends for weight loss.

Honored Contributor

@NYwoman   What a cutie!

She looks like a real sweetheart. I am so glad you rescued her. Enjoy your time together.

Honored Contributor

@NYwoman wrote:

This was Socks Petfinder ad:

Cat for adoption - Socks, an American Shorthair in Kingston, NY | Petfinder

She's beautiful!!  Congratulations!

Esteemed Contributor

@NYwoman ...You have warmed my heart and made my day!...How wonderful and compassionate of you to rescue an adult cat...She is absolutely adorable and, under your tender, loving care, I'm sure her weight will adjust at a healthier level...She has been through a lot in her 8 years, so just be patient with her...give her the time she needs to adjust to your home in her own way...In time, she will definitely bless you and your home with much love and gratitude! Heart

Thank you so very much again for opening your heart and home to precious Socks! Heart

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

@NYwoman - What a sweet cat you've adopted!  Our vet always recommends more wet food, less dry (because of the high carb and calorie content) for weight loss.

It's not so easy for us with more than one cat, but you should be fine with just Socks to cater to.  I hope you'll be able to post a photo of her once she's finally confident and settled into her new home with you.

Congratulations!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYwoman    Bless you for your kindness. It sounds like for starters she should get a senior panel done with a Vet so they can then rule out Hypothyroidism which will cause excessive weight gain and dry coat to name a few. Ive treated two cats with this issue. And yes, 8 years old for a cat makes them a senior. One thing that helps with their coat is a little Welactin omega-3 made for cats supplied by your Vet. Make sure to get proper dosage instructions first. The other thing can be, cheaper dry cats foods lack adequate protein and are full  of empty carbs. And just like with people, excessive empty carbs like junk food, causes weight gain. I know because I have been on a keto diet for years and able to stay under 115 lbs when I was previously 135. It's healthier as well. Getting back to the Vet senior panel, this will tell you a lot because it will let the Vet know what the problems are or that may be developong, instead of shooting darts in the dark and hoping to figure it out. You can spend alot just guessing, and maybe even cause more problems and still not get any answers. This way you will know. Its something Ive done with all my cats every year, and it can very well save their lives and alot of heartache for you too. Of course exercise and play interaction is important as well, for their physical and mental well being.

Trusted Contributor

@KittySoftPaws wrote:

@NYwoman    Bless you for your kindness. It sounds like for starters she should get a senior panel done with a Vet so they can then rule out Hypothyroidism which will cause excessive weight gain and dry coat to name a few. Ive treated two cats with this issue. And yes, 8 years old for a cat makes them a senior. One thing that helps with their coat is a little Welactin omega-3 made for cats supplied by your Vet. Make sure to get proper dosage instructions first. The other thing can be, cheaper dry cats foods lack adequate protein and are full  of empty carbs. And just like with people, excessive empty carbs like junk food, causes weight gain. I know because I have been on a keto diet for years and able to stay under 115 lbs when I was previously 135. It's healthier as well. Getting back to the Vet senior panel, this will tell you a lot because it will let the Vet know what the problems are or that may be developing, instead of shooting darts in the dark and hoping to figure it out. You can spend alot just guessing, and maybe even cause more problems and still not get any answers. This way you will know. Its something Ive done with all my cats every year, and it can very well save their lives and alot of heartache for you too. Of course exercise and play interaction is important as well, for their physical and mental well being.

Thank you for the information.   I already looked up hypothyroidism.   Her coat is dull but not seriously dry.   I fed our last cat fish food for the omegas, oil, nutrients.    We have begun brushing her and she likes that.   I will be looking into vitamins and nutrients.   Thanks for the feedback.   She is not slow or dull at all.   She doesn't like chicken food and her dry food is beef.   

She is very petite and I would estimate her ideal weight would be about 10 lbs.  So her weight is a hindrance.   She cannot jump unto furniture / beds / cat trees.   I am going to get a ramp or steps or put boxes in sizes for her to climb on.   She really makes every effort.   She roams the house a lot.   I live with a relative, another woman, and we live on different floors.   She is becoming THE person because she feeds her.   No egos here, just cat care.

Socks is sweet and hardly has any voice.   Her meow is a very soft chirp like sound.  So keeping an eye out for her is important.   She has pretty green eyes.    She is food and catnip motivated.   She started to show interest in wand toys.   Good, I have a number of them.    Haven't tried boxes yet.    

BTW, as older women, we wanted an older cat.   Makes sense.   Our last cat died of cancer at about 10 yrs old.   

I was told to watch the phosphorous content in food.   Any information?   I want to protect her kidneys.   

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYwoman   I also have, and have had a cat with renal (kidneys) issues. Both thyroid and renal are common in older cats. My Vet who is amazing and very knowledgeable, told me to avoid beef foods and lean towards chicken and salmons for cats with renal disease. I lost my precious baby boy a year ago at 22, from renal disease. My hubby and I even did IV fluids once daily which is equivalent to dialysis for humans. It worked for about a month and then he went downhill fast. I still have his sister and she has renal disease but it's not as bad for the females as their urinary tract isn't as small and narrow as the males. This was all info from my wonderful Vet. She is on daily meds 2x day for her thyroid and so far so good. I also have a powder supplement for her renal that goes in her food like a phosphorus blocker and a med 1x day for renal. That being said, it's still important to stay ahead of these diseases by getting the senior panels yearly. Can't stress that enough. This also helps the Vet help you, and your kitty, so with the numbers from her blood work, he can then accurately prescribe the right meds and right dosages. You will save yourself a lot of unpleasant surprises and health problems before they get worse. I know that prevention is a hard sell, but I can only share my experiences and what I've learned and been through in the hopes I can help others dealing with the same. I know you care about her, it shows, and I hope I didn't come across that I thought anything other than that. I will go out of my way to help someone like you who cares about their babies health.