Trusted Contributor

Re: just adopted a sweet grey tabby cat

Socks seems to be enjoying her new life.   She is so quiet though.   She carries around some toys.   She jumps on the kitchen table while waiting for her morning meal.   She will also look to share what you are eating.   She had some salmon today.   

I bought steps for her to use to get on beds on the couch.  She is so petite with a belly! She sees no interest in looking out the window, though.   We bought a collar with a bell to help us keep track of her.  She is so QUIET and her voice is very soft.   

Today she tried to sharpen her claws on a recliner and we verbally stopped her.   We'll see how that goes.   She has post scratcher, a cubbie with a scratcher on one side, a scratching pad, and a full cat tree with many levels and scratching posts on it.   

Respected Contributor

@NYwoman wrote:

This was Socks Petfinder ad:

Cat for adoption - Socks, an American Shorthair in Kingston, NY | Petfinder

@NYwoman 

We got our dog through Petfinder!

Socks is gorgeous.  We now have 8 cats, and they all took their own time to get used to being here and with each other.  She's been through a lot.  I have a couple that took time to get loving and affectionate.  I just didn't touch them until they let me know they were ready.  Until then, I just talked to them all the time!  Now they are Velcro cats!

Congratulations to you and Socks!

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@NYwoman wrote:

@NYwoman 

We got our dog through Petfinder!

Socks is gorgeous.  We now have 8 cats, and they all took their own time to get used to being here and with each other.  She's been through a lot.  I have a couple that took time to get loving and affectionate.  I just didn't touch them until they let me know they were ready.  Until then, I just talked to them all the time!  Now they are Velcro cats!

Congratulations to you and Socks!

Hyacinth

Socks has her way of letting us know what she wants.   While you get her food ready, she sits on the kitchen table and stares at you.   If her breakfast menue is not right she will follow you around until you change it to her taste.    When she wants attention, she will be next to you, softly talking.    There are times when she wants privacy and "disappears".     She is playing with her toys as we hear them.    She will lay on a bare floor right next to a soft pet bed.   She has no interest in looking outside or even going on chairs or couches.    Her options are open and on her terms.    

Respected Contributor

@NYwoman wrote:

She looks like my Teddy who ironically is overweight also.  I don't know his story he just showed up here one day and I never found an owner, his chip was linked to the local shelter, he was previously  TNR.  He is the most affectionate of my three kitties.