Trusted Contributor

It's Just a Dog!

From time to time people tell me, "Lighten up, it's just a dog" or "That's a lot of money for just a dog".  They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent or the costs involved for "just a dog".

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog".

Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog", but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog", and in those days of darkness, the gently touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and a reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog", then you will probably understand the phrases like "just a friend", "just a sunrise", or "just a promise".

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.

"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly into the future.

So for me, and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a human".

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog" just smile.....because they "just don't understand".

Trusted Contributor

@shortbreadlover What a beautiful post. And you’re right....it’s never “just a dog”. I’ve been blessed for 15 years to have the sweetest Miniature Schnauzer named Buddy. He has been the light at the end of many dark tunnels....the comforting kiss on the nose as he tried to dry my tears....the face I see in the window when I come home...the comedian that makes me laugh when I need it the most....the eyes filled with love when he looks at me...I only hope I’ve been deserving of his love and unending loyalty. Sadly, he is very ill and I know my time with him is getting shorter by the day, but his strength and fortitude is inspiring. My heart breaks when I think of the time when all of that will only be a memory. So, no, he’s not just a dog. He’s been my world....my heart....my best friend. My life is richer because of him.❤️❤️❤️

Honored Contributor

So beautiful and touching @shortbreadlover!  I agree!

Respected Contributor

All the "just a dogs" I've been blessed to have in my life have meant the world to me. They're the only children I've ever had. 

🐶💕🐶💕🐶💕🐶💕🐶💕🐶💕🐶💕🐶💕🐶💕

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover @Just a dog gone beautiful way to express your feelings.I agree with you that our pets are so very special and important key to happiness,love and the best reason we  leave our recliners.

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover  What a lovely post, how true  it is i miss each and every one that are gone,and love with all my heart the two i have.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I love dogs too.....but at my house, I've always had "just a cat!"  Cats are different from dogs, but they have their own way of showing love too.

When I return home after a long day, there's a fuzzy cat face at the door waiting for his daily hug.  When I'm getting ready to go out that same door in the morning, he's right there, flopping down on the floor in front of me......hoping to make me change my mind.

I think having a furry friend is especially important for us single folks, especially those (like me) who never had any human children!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

By the way ,tears are falling your post really hit my feelings about all of mine.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

My dogs are my babies.

Thanks for expressing this sentiment so beautifully.

Esteemed Contributor

My son won a trophy for his Science project. He placed it by our dog

and said that she, Meadow, deserves it, because he loves her so much

@shortbreadlover.20190330_121054.jpg