Honored Contributor

>^..^< old cat, new kitty ~ advice please

We rescued a two month old boy kitty this weekend.  We hadn't planned on it, but he needed us.  We have an almost 14 year old female cat that isn't happy about it. 

I have the kitten set up in a large pop-up pen, with all that he needs to keep him happy, in hopes that they can get to know one another in a safe way.  However, he's a kitten and needs cuddle time and play time. When he's out and about, my older cat hisses at him. Is this usual behavior?  Can I expect that they will ever peacefully cohabitate?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: >^..^< old cat, new kitty ~ advice please

I brought in a 6 month old kitten that I got from my sister back in March. I already have a 7 year old male and a 6 year old female. Yes, she is still hissing at him, though he doesn't seem to care. She still hisses at the other male sometimes and they've been together for years. They also get into fights at times, so be careful the little one doesn't get hurt.

Esteemed Contributor

Depends but probably not.  Neighbor - second marriage but his cat and her cat made life h*ll for all of them.  Superior cat controlled the litter box and food dish. Age wasn't a factor but living room floor had to be replaced due to urine soak/smell.

Esteemed Contributor

It’s normal. You interrupted his daily routine with this kitten. Eventually they will get use to each other and the kitten will learn who the boss is. Make sure you give the older kitty lots of attention so he/she won’t feel neglected. Keep them separated for a bit but introduce them slowly. Let them sniff each other. They will probably get along just fine. Just give it time. I have six cats and occasionally one will hiss at the other but they work it out. 

Honored Contributor

@house_cat Your 14 yr old cat is 72 yr old in human years. Kittens are playful and active whereas your older boy doesn’t have the energy.

Ive had cats most of my life and introducing a younger kitty into the family worked once and was a disaster another time. Plus it depends on the ages and personalities of the cats.

I commend you for rescuing a little kitty and wish you the best.

Honored Contributor

I hope it all works out for you and would imagine it probably will.  I just wanted to remind you that you will need two litter boxes.  The older cat may become territorial with his litter box and not let the kitten use it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Jackson Galaxy indicates you should introduce cats slowly to one another.  It sounds like you are doing what you need to do - keep the kitten separate for awhile, but let the other cat smell his surroundings and become used to him.  I have two cats that from outward appearances get along, but sometimes they swat at each other for whatever reasons.  My female is 14 and has been with me longer, and she is jealous of the younger male.  It's funny that she doesn't like me to show him too much attention - she jumps in between the two of us so I can pet her instead of him.  Just be sure that you show your older kitty the attention she needs.  I hope they get used to each other eventually and everything works out for you!

Contributor

Last summer I lost my dear cat of 19 years.  I adopted a pair of cats that were from the same househol due to the owner dying.  One was 3 and the other 6.  I wanted them to be real buddies but,  they liked each other , not loved each other.  The 3 year old really seemed to need more.  I have to admit so did I.. So this summer I adopted 2 kittens that were 12 w eeks old from the same litter.  They are wonderful additions to my family.  I had never had kittens that young and it is fun to watch them.  The 2 older cats did hiss at them at first but, the kittens just didn't let it scare them .  Now a few months later my 4 year old male loves the kittens,  he nurtures them and grooms them.  My 7 year old sometimes could do without them but, they get along and once in a while they are snuggled up together.  My husband who thought I was crazy for getting 2 more cats now agrees that it has worked out beautifully.  But do watch them.  My 19 year old who wouldn't hurt anything, did not like sharing anything ,  mainly me with another cat so I waited.  I do think that a kitten needs another kitten to play with for sure!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think a lot depends on the personalities of both cats.  And you’re dealing with a very large age gap.  I’m going through the same thing right now, although my two cats are a little closer in age to each other.

I have a now eight year old male cat that I’ve had since a kitten who doesn’t care for any other animals, especially other cats.  A few months ago, a six week old male kitten showed up.  He was a mess, but he was a doll so I ended up keeping him.  Like you, I had no intention of getting another cat, so I wasn’t exactly prepared.  Because he was full of internal and external parasites, he was kept separated from both my cat and dog for several weeks.  Both the other animals got used to his scent without having to interact directly.  I exposed him to both other animals very gradually.  The kitten is very active, my older has never really been too interested in playing (he’s an indoor/outdoor cat).  

When the kitten was ready to be brought into the house full-time, I kept the two cats separated in different areas with a door closed between them.  I let each have the run of the house at different times so they got used to each other’s scent.  However, I always kept one room off limits to the kitten that only the older cat had access to.  They could smell each other and could see each other under the door only.  At first, the older cat didn’t want anything to do with the kitten, while the kitten was dying to play with the older cat.  Little by little (I mean weeks), the older cat started taking an interest in the kitten.  But when they were face to face, the old man would hiss and slap, while the baby would be submissive but active.  

This is getting long, so I’ll try to be more brief.  It took a long time (months) of gradually introducing the two cats. I always gave preference to the older cat’s wishes.  If he acted like he was being bothered by the kitten, the kitten went into another room.  The older cat would not use the same litter box as the kitten, so he has his own in a room the kitten can’t get to.  The older cat always had a place to get away from the kitten when he wanted.

I honestly thought they were never going to get along.  But, just about a month ago, the older cat started to take more of an interest in play (not attack).  Now they play a lot and there’s not much of a problem.  I do have to still keep an eye on them when they get rowdy.  Right now, they have access to each other whenever they want, except the older cat still has a bedroom to himself with a baby gate to escape to, which he uses most of the day to sleep.  (I’m hoping by the time the kitten can jump the gate they will be acclimated to each other completely so it won’t be a problem.)

I will say that in addition to very slow introduction, my older cat only got more interested in the little one when the kitten got physically larger and started to calm down some.  And, I had to allow the older cat to do his own discplining with the kitten.  During that phase I had to really keep a close eye on them so that the kitten didn’t get hurt.  But now, the little one knows when the old man is done playing and he quits, so everybody is happy.

Your cats may never get along, or they may come to some sort of amiable coexistence.  And it may take a lot longer than you think it should. Don’t forget your older cat sees this newcomer as an invader of her territory and at her age is set in her ways and routines.  It’s not impossible, but it probably will take a bit of work and patience on your part.  

ETA:  Geez, I’m sorry this is so long.  TMI!

Honored Contributor

@geezerette and everyone else who responded - thank you for taking the time.  I'm not sure who was more comfortable in the old routine, my old girl, or me.... I'm feeling very guilty for shaking up her life when she's so old.  The plan was to get a pair of sibling kittens when she passed, but this little guy found us and I couldn't say no. I try to remind myself that there are animals living in horrendous conditions and adding a kitten to her life shouldn't be devastating, but I have to admit that I feel guilty about it.

~ house cat ~