Honored Contributor

Re: >^..^< old cat, new kitty ~ advice please

@house_cat wrote:

@geezerette and everyone else who responded - thank you for taking the time.  I'm not sure who was more comfortable in the old routine, my old girl, or me.... I'm feeling very guilty for shaking up her life when she's so old.  The plan was to get a pair of sibling kittens when she passed, but this little guy found us and I couldn't say no. I try to remind myself that there are animals living in horrendous conditions and adding a kitten to her life shouldn't be devastating, but I have to admit that I feel guilty about it.

Yep, that was me about three months ago.  My kitten found me and wouldn’t leave.  He was emaciated and had every kind of bug imaginable.  But he was a tough and loving little guy.  I didn’t want to keep him, but he wormed his way into my heart in about a day.

I felt guilty about bringing another animal into the household because my older cat had just been subjected to a big dog arriving three years ago.  He had been perfectly happy being the only pet for a few years after our old dog passed.  

For a while I thought keeping them apart and giving everybody the attention they needed was going to wear me out!  But, as I said, it eventually paid off and things are pretty good right now.  

Try not to feel guilty.  Just give your older cat the seclusion and attention she needs.  The little guy will adjust.  You’ve done a wonderful thing, it just happened a different way than you planned.  Give it time.

Valued Contributor

I am going through the same thing right now.  I have a 16 year old male and a 10 year old female.  They get along great.  Last Monday, hubby rescued a little 7 week old female from death literally.  Rescued her from a construction site.  We took her to the vet last Thursday and was told that had he not rescued her she would not have made it. would have been dead within in a week. she has an intestinal and resritory virus.  We treated her for worms and she is on antibiotics.  She is doing better but still not 100%.  She has been in the house for a week now and my two older ones hang out in the bedroom.  I put food for them and a litter box in our master bath.  The kitten is just now stating to venture to the bedroom but if we see her we pick her up and bring her back out to the kitchen/family room area.  On Sunday my 16 year old male finally came out to the family room, walked by her and hissed but then jumped on the recliner with me and let me pet him.  He stayed for a few minutes then left but came back a litle later and did the same thing.  The 10 year old female has started coming out a bit more and no longer hissing.  The kitten is not real playful yet but I think she will be once she is healthy.  She was very malnourished and under weight, 1 lb. 2 oz. at 7 1/2 to 8 weeks.  I am praying that things will be back to normal again at some point and I think it will, but I know it will take time.  I make sure I go into the bedroom all the time and talk to and pet the older two, they need that extra attention now.  Hopefully both of our homes will eventually get back to normal soon.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat  I think a lot has to do with the older cat's behavior and/or personality before the new kitten.  My advice is to talk to a vet as they may have suggestions for you.  One thing though, give older cat lots of love. Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat

His name and photo - along with that extra cute one of Gracie - when you get a chance, please. 

Bless you all and congrats!  Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

I'd say to keeping what you're doing - it's been a short time (relatively speaking) - just keep giving older kitty attention.  We once had a male & female that got along great, but when my SIL passed, we took in her female.  The two girls never did get along, but as it was just hissing when they got too close, we all just lived with it.

Denise
Trusted Contributor

I lost my 19 yr. old female 4 years ago. We also had a 12 yr.old female cat. They got along fairly well. I said I would never get another one because the loss was just too heartbreaking. After about 6 months we decide to adopt a kitten to keep the older cat company. The older cat wanted nothing to do with it and would hiss every time it saw the kitten. Eventually the older cat got used to the younger one but it has been 3 years and the older cat still hisses at the younger one! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shogirl wrote:

Jackson Galaxy indicates you should introduce cats slowly to one another.  It sounds like you are doing what you need to do - keep the kitten separate for awhile, but let the other cat smell his surroundings and become used to him.  I have two cats that from outward appearances get along, but sometimes they swat at each other for whatever reasons.  My female is 14 and has been with me longer, and she is jealous of the younger male.  It's funny that she doesn't like me to show him too much attention - she jumps in between the two of us so I can pet her instead of him.  Just be sure that you show your older kitty the attention she needs.  I hope they get used to each other eventually and everything works out for you!

Funny story.  We bought a bengal kitten who was truly a madman.  DH &
 I had to take turns playing with him to wear him out.  Finally bit the bullet to buy another one from his litter (yikes, the cost) so they could play together.  Called our breeder; kittens were all sold.  But she offered one of her breeder queens for the price of a spay, who was the great-grandma of our kitten.  I was concerned that the older cat wouldn't keep up with the kitten, but Carolyn reassured me it would be OK.

Brought Millie home and did the "Jackson Galaxy" thing with Millie in a spare bedroom, with all amenities. I think it was the 3rd time I snuck in to see her and she SHOT out the door.  Walked around the house as if she owned the place, Rocko following respectvely behind.

I needn't have worried - when he got too rough, she'd bonk his head on the floor, or do the dreaded "grab and shake".

Otherwise she just treated Rocko like a big kitten.

Denise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMG_8612.JPG

@feline groovy

Here's the new guy. His name is Shadow.  Gracie is below and the freakiest thing is that he looks so much like her, that unless the photo allows for size perspective, we can barely tell them apart.

IMG_6124.JPG

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

They're both beautiful!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I agree with @NickNack, they’re both beautiful!  Must have been meant to be, since they do look so much alike.

Similiarly with my two.  The older cat is a black and white tuxedo.  The kitten is white with black markings.  Mirror images.