Respected Contributor

@Dawnie  thank you so much!

Respected Contributor

@BoomernicholsI have a Scottie boy who has this issue, and am using a supplement called Glandex.  It comes in either a powder (beef flavor) or a peanut butter flavored chew given once a day.  Glandex seems to keep Johnny quite comfortable, no more scooting or impactions or ruptures.  I order it through my local pet food store, but I am sure it's also available online from "the big A"  or possibly other online pet supply places like Chewy.  I hope you can give it a try, I would be very, very hesitant to do surgery

on a 15 year old dog.

The only reason for such a surgery that I can think of is that your dog has perianal tumors in or near the glands, so please ask your vet if there is a cancer concern, and that is why they want to do surgery.

Trusted Contributor

100% pure pumpkin with no spices is great for **** glands per our vet. 

Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin 29 OZ CAN - Food & Grocery ...

Esteemed Contributor

@Boomernichols Someone suggested this for your dog.  I take it that you aren't familiar with cell salts.  I prefer this brand when I can get it:20200419_100647.jpg

I use this type of homeopathy all the time.  There are many applications for each one (there are many cell salts) so you don't always go by what is written on the bottle.  If you are interested in natural there are great guide books out there.  I have cured many ailments with these.

As far as the ****** gland problem, I vote for the no surgery root.  Change your dogs diet and learn how to clean the gland yourself.  There are Youtubes on it.  My vet taught me years ago.  I feel raw now so there is no need for ****** gland cleaning.  If you aren't interested in any of these suggestions, just set up an every 6 week appointment to have it cleaned.  My sister does that with her dog and it works out well for her and her dog.  

Hope this helps!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols   What did you decide to do about this?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

Years and years ago when I had dogs. I had to have that surgery done on my part lab. He was not as old as your dog but all went well. And I'm talking about 40 years ago! We had to have it done because he stunk so bad.

Esteemed Contributor

@Boomernichols  I am curious how you've handled the problem.  My little Daisy has gland problems also. They actually ruptured last summer.  Poor little baby.  I had them expressed a few weeks later and she suffered with that too.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth