Honored Contributor

doggie years to human years.

Ok my little girl is 4 next month.......now the chart I have says she will be 32 in human years. It use to be that they counted 7 dog years to our 1. So now I wonder how you  count it. Which do you go by as being more correct?

Respected Contributor

Re: doggie years to human years.

My vet does it by years and weight to convert to human years. 

This also works well

http://www.ajdesigner.com/fl_dog_age/dog_age.php

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

(Photo: Thinkstock):
 International Cat Care

Super Contributor

I have heard the bigger the dog, the shorter the lifespan

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Honored Contributor

@feline groovy, Thanks! that will make her 26!!

Esteemed Contributor

@milkbone

Yes, I've been told that, too.

I've always gone by the our year times seven.  My Girl was tested at Tufts twice.  She was 10 the first time, 11 the second time.  They tested blood and organs.  Came up the same way twice:  she had the results of a much younger dog.  And, while she was healthy, or even semi-healthy (she had metastatic bone cancer), she still was peppy and lively as a much younger pup.  So, don't know how relevant age is anyways.

What concerns me is how many dogs I hear of lately are getting cancer.  Was just talking to a former neighbor today and he lost one dog about a year ago due to cancer; and today told me his other dog has non-cancerous lumps growing all over her body, greatly reducing her movement.  Wondering what is causing such a high rate of cancer in dogs.  Well, guess I'm off-topic now, so I apologize.

Honored Contributor

Very nice charts, @feline groovy.  I'm glad you shared.  My small dog and I are slowly reaching the same set of years.

@feline groovy wrote:

International Cat Care

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

I remember hearing years ago that it was seven human years to one dog year.

I had posted this on another thread that that was still the same when one of our past vets had mentioned it.

He had also told us that cat years to human years was a little bit different, and that cat years to human years was about six and a half years cat years to one human year.

I think that it's fascinating no matter how it's figured out.

I think that what we can take away from all of this as pet owners is that they age differently than we do. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Toppers wrote:

I remember hearing years ago that it was seven human years to one dog year.

I had posted this on another thread that that was still the same when one of our past vets had mentioned it.

He had also told us that cat years to human years was a little bit different, and that cat years to human years was about six and a half years cat years to one human year.

I think that it's fascinating no matter how it's figured out.

I think that what we can take away from all of this as pet owners is that they age differently than we do. Smiley Happy

That was on my pet age thread, Toppers.  8)

I agree that all animal stuff is fascinating.

BTW, my vet had said 5-6 years (to our 1) for kitties.

Because this correct  age info. is so very important, I sent it to my contacts - pet guardians or not.

They could always forward it to other parents/pets who would benefit.  

Anything to help the world's animals, domestic or not.  8)