We give them

Eggs

Meat

Vegetables

Cottage Cheese

Cheese (in TINY amounts)

Yogurt

Trusted Contributor

I do, but my dog's getting spoiled. On days I don't put a little of what I'm cooking in his bowl, he'll wait awhile to see if he's gonna get lucky!

Honored Contributor

No!  My dogs have well-balanced dog food diets.  I don't want them to develop a taste for "people" food.  The expensive dog food they get is better for them nutritionally and better for their teeth.  If they become accustomed to hand-outs they become pests and beggars.  I do occasionally get bones at a butcher shop for them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I wish my cats would eat people food.  Considering so many commercial foods can't be trusted, and the garbage they grind in!  I would feel more comfortable feeding home cooked.  As long as they get all the nutrients and vitamins they need it's great.  Also  no onions or other ingredients that are toxic to animals. Mine will not touch any people food.  I recently talked to a lady at my bank.  She had a picture of her beautiful dog and I commented on how gorgeous her dog was.  She said he was 17 and she only feeds him home cooked meals.  I have never seen a more youthful looking dog at such an advanced age.  He looked like a very young dog.  I think the key to his health is home cooking and quality ingredients. 

Super Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Bear in mind please that this was before we knew chocolate was toxic for dogs, but when I was a kid my poodle loved chocolate. She would drink cocoa, and had her own Easter basket. We were so lucky that she wasn't harmed, and we had her for 18 years. My parents smoked and she would lick the smoke out of the air.  I'm horrified now when I think of it , but Angel was a happy dog.

Considering the horrible stuff they grind into pet food Angel's "snacks" were probably less harmfull than some of the stuff coming out of a bag or can.  Although, I agree that's quite amazing that he wasn't harmed.  Now they act like milk is poison for cats.  When I was growing up the cats always got milk.  Some sat in the barn when the cows were milked and waited for a squirt.  They never saw a vet and all lived to a ripe old age.  My mom still gives milks to all the strays and they are thriving. 

Honored Contributor

I currently don't have any pets, but have always fed my cats people food.  Not as a meal, but a few bites here and there.  Had a cat that liked cantaloupe, so he'd get a couple small pieces.

Respected Contributor

The only time I've given my dog people food was when I needed to give her meds.  I would put the pill in a little piece of American Cheese and make it into a ball.  She eventually got tired of that and now I use the Milk Bone Pill Pouches to give her meds.  Other than that, just dog food and dog treats. 

Honored Contributor

I don’t trust factory made dog food any more.

We have cooked for our dogs for years.

They get veggies, meat, eggs, yoghurt, cottage cheese, fruit, and bones.  They follow an excellent diet, and I know exactly what they are eating.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I only feed my cat and dog their own food.  I completely trust it as being complete and healthy for them.  I don't want them begging at the table like some other dogs I know do.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I only feed my fur baby people food except for a dog treat from Blue .... there are too many dog food recalls lately so I rather be safe than sorry 😍