Honored Contributor

Yes, as long as it’s dog friendly...steak, chicken, vegetables (we sneak those in). He really enjoys dessert the best, so we will share a bite of pie, vanilla ice cream or cookies (in small quantities).

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I feed them a little plate of spaghetti and also when we grill or bake chicken. Plus a little ham/Turkey during the holidays 

Trusted Contributor

i just feel that when i feed mine people food, i know what is in the food.  and i agree that they grind all kinds of stuff into pet food.  my vet told me that the reason that pet food is so costly, is because the pet food companies know that they can charge that much and people will pay it.

my dogs like all manner of fruit and veggies.  i give them carrots as a treat.  i      buy bell peppers for them .the store near me reduces peppers to $.25 each.

but you can get them too used to people food.  a few times mine have turned up their pug noses at plain dog food.

Esteemed Contributor

We had a basset hound for nearly 12 years. She loved brocolli and carrots.  She'd stand a the frig door and stare at it and us until we got up and gave her some.

Our labs used to pick grapes off our grapevines.  We never knew grapes were bad for dogs.  One lab lived to 18. 

Cheese was reserved for prescriptions. They got good at eating the ball of cheese and spitting out the pill. 

My FIL lived next door to us for about 2 years.  He used to feed the older lab hot dogs through the fence.  What could I say, they were both way up there in age.  We let them have their fun.

When the kids were little we used to have a fire pit in the backyard.  We'd roast marshmellows, hot dogs, make popcorn.  The older lab used to knock over the snack tables so he could eat the food and lap up any of DH's beer that spilled. 

Respected Contributor

I prepare people food for them that is separate from my food because I don't use seasonings in their food. I don't feed them off my plate because I don't want them to expect that. Let me tell you that if Greta was left near a plate of food she would scarf it down so fast. I think it is from her being a rescue and surviving on her own.

I think you have to be careful about the seasonings and sodium.

doxie

Respected Contributor

Not as a meal but as a treat, Sure.  The cats would get a chance to try whatever they took an interest in.  Favorites included Roast pork or chicken, Lettuce, red prefered. Italian bread, Butter and Cotton Candy.  Just check a list of toxic foods before giving anything.

Super Contributor

I used to give my little chihuahua chicken breast and rice. Sometimes whipped sweet potato. She basically had no teeth and was in congestive heart failure so everything was put in the food processor. Currently, I have a house guest that belongs to a relative. He is a 15 month old Huskie (beautiful!!!!!) He is on a raw protein diet...yes raw! He gets a raw chicken leg quarter and a tilapia fillet twice a day. Obviously he eats outside and it is so gross...the sound of cracking chicken bones! I hose everything down afterward...the things we do for family...

Super Contributor

Which food do you give your dog?