Honored Contributor

Re: crating your dog yes or no

@Sooner wrote:

Being stuck home for the virus issues with nowhere to go makes me feel even more sorry for all the poor dogs stuck in houses with no big yard to run and play in and see other dogs and watch the world go by, see the sunshine and breathe fresh air.

Lots of dogs now only have human fun.  How sad. 

One of my dogs only likes human fun.  She hates other dogs.  She was a rescue so I don't know too much about her past.  She wants to fight every dog she sees, including a huge Italian Mastif that could eat her with one gulp. We are working on it, but isn't going well.

She  looks like an angel...but, oh what a devil she is. Here she is wagging her white tipped tail 100 mph.

7AC9AF54-4999-4839-A253-496DE04B7EC5.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Being stuck home for the virus issues with nowhere to go makes me feel even more sorry for all the poor dogs stuck in houses with no big yard to run and play in and see other dogs and watch the world go by, see the sunshine and breathe fresh air.

Lots of dogs now only have human fun.  How sad. 

One of my dogs only likes human fun.  She hates other dogs.  She was a rescue so I don't know too much about her past.  She wants to fight every dog she sees, including a huge Italian Mastif that could eat her with one gulp. We are working on it, but isn't going well.

She  looks like an angel...but, oh what a devil she is. Here she is wagging her white tipped tail 100 mph.

7AC9AF54-4999-4839-A253-496DE04B7EC5.jpeg

@Carmie 

You're right--she does look like "an angel"! 😇😈😉❤️

Honored Contributor

@geezerette   She is an angel all right...a fallen angel!

Honored Contributor

YUP!!!!

The crate I have has a cover, bed, water & food bowls clamped on the metal.  All that came w/the crate.  Chi-Chi was crate trained & already an adult when I rescued her. 

Chi-Chi is crated at night (bedtime) "covered" gate locked outside my bedroom door.  After her last nightly "potty" walk outside, as soon as I open the front door, she runs right inside her crate!  I have to coach her out to remove her coat.  I really don't have to lock the gate.  When unlocked, when she hears me say "good morning Chi-Chi," she will push the gate door open, tail wagging, start streatching then runs  to her calming bed to start burrowing.

Day time - I put the crate bed on top of the crate & the front cover is folded on top of the crate.  Front gate stays open during the day.  She goes inside on her own for quiet time or if she wants a treat.  It's her den & her retreat.  Treats are in her crate food bowl.

She has the run of my apt (except the beddrooms) when I step out for a few hours.  She is not disruptive.  All she does is sleep.  I turn on dog calming music on my DOT along w/the tv or radio while I am gone.

I was thinking about weaning her from the "bedtime" crate during the spring.  Getting a 2nd calming bed & leave it outside my bedroom since she appears to be getting use to my "in house" routines (going to bathroom in the middle of the night).

I have "pet" rules in my home:  I don't sleep in your bed, you DO NOT sleep in mine.  My cat & dog do not know my bedroom(s) exist.  All they know is that I "disappear" behind a door from time to time.

FWIW......

all my children as well as my grands had/have playpens.  Mine had the old school wooden ones w/wheels. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie 

😂

Respected Contributor

Crating is a big NO for me.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

She's adorable. I have a couple of fallen angels too. If they didn't have each other they would probably only have human fun but they play all day together and sometimes battle too. 

Respected Contributor

first of all, @Carmie  i had a really good LOL at 

'protective custody' and 'fallen angel' !!   can totally appreciate both!   i had a fallen angel once.

my dog has a crate.  it has always been her safe place.  the door stays open so she can come and go, but she loves to go there to 'escape' now and then.   the only time the door gets closed is when the cleaning lady comes and once in a when there is a critter outside.

Honored Contributor

@Lali1   My dog battles every day all day.  I usually keep my dogs seperated. In the evening my DH and I allow the dogs in the same room.  Sometimes they will sleep and ignore one another and sometimes we have to seperate them after five minutes.

We have gotten them to walk together twice a day and we take them out to potty together, but inside is so different.

I hope things get better with time,  If not, I will have to rehome my fighter to a house with no other pets.  We had her for three months with no problems, then she just snapped.  

Now we know why she was rehomed.  I wish the lady we got her from would have found her a home without another pet and not kept her problem a secret from us.  She is very sweet with humans and I love her to pieces but I got bit breaking up a fight a few weeks ago and my hand still has not 100% healed.

I didn't sign up for this, but I am trying to get things to work.  I would love if my dogs played together or at least ignored each other.  I'd settle for that.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Lali1   My dog battles every day all day.  I usually keep my dogs seperated. In the evening my DH and I allow the dogs in the same room.  Sometimes they will sleep and ignore one another and sometimes we have to seperate them after five minutes.

We have gotten them to walk together twice a day and we take them out to potty together, but inside is so different.

I hope things get better with time,  If not, I will have to rehome my fighter to a house with no other pets.  We had her for three months with no problems, then she just snapped.  

Now we know why she was rehomed.  I wish the lady we got her from would have found her a home without another pet and not kept her problem a secret from us.  She is very sweet with humans and I love her to pieces but I got bit breaking up a fight a few weeks ago and my hand still has not 100% healed.

I didn't sign up for this, but I am trying to get things to work.  I would love if my dogs played together or at least ignored each other.  I'd settle for that.

I hope things improve for you and you can keep her. I completely understand what you're going through. Mine fight over food, they get jealous of our attention and when they play they often get carried away.

My Lola who is the youngest is snippy even at us. Something about hands and being controlled she has issues with. We got her as a puppy so she got her issues here. She's timid a lot and has insecurities and I think most of her issues are based on fear. Even the vet can't cut her nails. I warned them they would need a priest if they tried. Sure enough they tried and only got the back ones cut. Other than those issues she's as sweet as pie lol Wishing you luck your pup calms down.