Respected Contributor

Re: crating your dog yes or no

Mine go in their crates when they eat. They run to them for their food. Also when no one is around to watch them. The two young ones not the old boy. They would tear something up if I left them out. They will knock over plants, tear up any paper they can find. They're extremely playful and hate when they don't have a human nearby. It's not cruel and it keeps them and our things safe. One day they will be capable of being left out of their crates when we aren't around but not at this time while they still have so much puppy in them. 

Back when we had chihuahuas we had two that were one month apart in age. We didn't crate them when we left the house or were out of their view. We went to the movies one night and came home to yarn all over the living room floor. It was wrapped around chairs and pretty much everywhere. I bet that if it was only one pup they might not have done it but together they thought it was a great idea. Same with my girls now they are 3 1/2 months apart and get into so much mess together.

It's not doggie jail it's a safely measure that many many people use. Just because you don't need it or use it does not make it bad. 

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette   I agree with you whole heartedly.  You said a few things that I left out of my long winded post.

I, too, found the idea of crating distasteful -- until I did it.  My first dog was not crate trained, but after seeing how beautifully it worked for my neighbor, I decided to crate train my second dog.  Well, about 7 dogs later, I'm still doing it.  Wouldn't have it any other way!

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch 

❤️

Respected Contributor

I disagree.  Crating a dog to help potty train them is a must.  Also its a safe place for them to go when they need downtime, just like a dog bed.  I leave the crate doors open and I find my dog goes in them often to just get some down time.  It also is safer for the dog and your home when you are not home.  I had a friend who's house burned to the ground because the dog knocked over a lamp when they were not home.  Killed the dog at the same time.  Very sad.  

Its not about punishment.

Honored Contributor

In the car we use a tether that attaches to his harness and buckles into the seat belt lock, keeping him on the back seat in the event of an accident.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

I've always crated my puppies during the training process.  When I get a puppy, I watch him/her like a hawk for the first few weeks to get a feel for their behavior.  Housebreaking always happens very quickly with, usually, only 2 or 3 accidents. I've been fortunate enough to never have destructive chewers.  

I've never used the crate as a punishment or as a tool because I was too lazy to be bothered with my dog.  I only crated my puppies at night until I knew they could hold their little bladders until morning.  And I slept in the same room as the crate.  Often I would take the puppy out and let him/her sleep with me.

During the day, the door to the crate would be open and my dogs would always go in there to sleep or just rest.  They thought of it as their private, safe place.  In most cases, I would only use the crate for maybe two or three months.  And, again, their use was sporadic.

Once I felt confident that my dog was ok when left in the house alone and crating was no longer necessary, the crate would go back in the garage until the next puppy came along.

I often have two dogs at a time.  When I get a new puppy and the crate comes back out,  the older dog almost always is happy to see the crate again and goes back in there to hang out when it's not occupied by the puppy.  Again, the door is mostly left open and the dogs can come and go in the crate as they please.

My last dog was special needs (she was mentally challenged and had severe seizures).  It was necessary to crate on and off for almost a year.  She didn't mind in the least.  

Our crates have always had comfy bedding, a piece of clothing that smelled like me (like an old tee shirt) and a chew toy.

Everybody has their own way to train.  Whatever works best for you is the way to go.  

My old boy goes in the girls crates to get peace and quiet from them. He suckles toys to relax himself and goes in there to do that. We had the crates before our girls and Jax the old boy always loved to go sleep in them. As you do the doors are open when not in use so they can go inside when they want. The girls frequently go inside to get away from it all 😀 It's no different than a human going to their room. 

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@geezerette   I agree with you whole heartedly.  You said a few things that I left out of my long winded post.

I, too, found the idea of crating distasteful -- until I did it.  My first dog was not crate trained, but after seeing how beautifully it worked for my neighbor, I decided to crate train my second dog.  Well, about 7 dogs later, I'm still doing it.  Wouldn't have it any other way!

@Citrine1 

As did you! 😄👍

Respected Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

Crate training can be a wonderful tool, not only for the puppy, but owner, too.  The crate should never be used as punishment, or to jail the pet. It needs to become their den of safety and security. Like dogs in the wild, who like to find dens to hide,  and nest. And, it serves multiple purposes e.g., potty training, excessive chewing, etc. It also gets them out of harm's way, during chaotic household times, and much more. 

I always crate trained my puppies, never leaving them crated for prolonged periods. When doing it right, the crate becomes their castle. With all of my pups, as they grew into their roles, as soon as possible, I'd leave the door open to their crate. 

Without exception, the crate remained available to them and they'd frequently be noted taking naps inside their den, when many other options were available.

A case in point was my 135lb Shiloh Shepherd. His crate was massive, taking up a lot of real estate, but I kept it for him from the time of bringing him home at 12 weeks old.

He was dying of immune mediated hemolytic anemia occurring from immunizations. While waiting for the Vet to make a home visit to send him on his way, he wanted in his crate so badly, when he could barely stand, or breathe, but I had to close it and couldn't let him (I'm sobbing right now remembering, I denied him his last wish). But, it would have been so hard to get him out.

To him it was his safe place, a place he thought would help, or maybe let him die in peace. And, at the best, or worst of times, this is exactly how a crate should be seen by the dog. 

Lastly, I'll just say, there's nothing worse that someone who doesn't educate themselves on crate training. It's a process that has to be used correctly. 

I'm so sorry for your loss. Our chihuahua we lost last July did the same at the end. He did get in there somehow and it was a small crate. He wanted to be left alone. 

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

In the car we use a tether that attaches to his harness and buckles into the seat belt lock, keeping him on the back seat in the event of an accident.

This is what we have. I also have pet car seats to prop the dogs up in the seat. I love those straps. We also use a set in their stroller. 

Honored Contributor

I wish my one-time neighbors had crated their dog when they were at work.  This dog was a barker and liked to look out the window and would go crazy when I worked in my gardens, or someone walked past on the street or made a delivery to their front door.  They lived in a condo over mine, so the noise was real.