Honored Contributor

I posted before about my stripey cat, Echo that was dx with hyper thyroid disease---was told to change her diet to a rx one --well she ate it for maybe 3 days and then....being of the feline persuasion--she turned up her nose and didn't eat at all--not good for a cat that has gone from just under 15 lbs to right around 10 in one year---I caved and got her the meds that go in her ear. and  holy cats...Woman Happy--what a difference!! She now can eat her normal food and has started gaining some weight and is her perky self again at age 12 years--so far no reactions to the meds and so easy to apply--goes back in April for a re check and maybe to tweak her dosage if needed. Very relieved!!

Honored Contributor

So very wonderful!  When our babies are sick we are too!

Hopefully, the condition will be cured.  It surely can be alarming when they can't speak to us!

She is a very lucky lady to have such a wonderful momma!

Honored Contributor

Re: cat on thyroid meds----

[ Edited ]

@wagirl - One of my cats has been on oral Levothyroxine for several years now.  She's lost a lot of weight and has bouts of vomiting.  (Her current vet diagnosed pancreatitis and prescribed medicine but my kitty hates it and spits it out every time.)

I'm curious as to whether your cat was on something similar to Levothyroxine and if you're saying there's an alternative to the oral tablet?

Honored Contributor

How I wish any and all meds could be administered that way (applied in the ear).

Our youngest cat needs a surgery and there is no way we could give pain meds afterwards as she was feral (she's totally indoor now).  

The only way I can see her getting the surgery is for her to stay at the animal hospital for her entire recuperation.  I don't know if they would do it.

Esteemed Contributor

Had no idea a cat take medication this way.  I did apply nitroglycerin in a dog's ear.

Occasional Contributor

Our senior cat had same thyroid diagnosis but be careful applying thyroid meds to cat's ear as meds can burn cat's inside ears. Our Vet treats only cats and he prescribed thyroid meds to rub in her ears alternating ears every other day. But after a few months the meds had burned both her inner ears and she had crusty sores inside where thyroid meds had been applied.The Vet said to immediately stop applying meds to her ears. He put her on thyorid oral pills but she didn't like and she refused to take. We ultimately had to have her thyroid treated with an expensive one-time iodine radiation injection which cured her thyroid condition permanently.       

Honored Contributor

@Venezia --- my cat was just dx with hyperthyroidism last month. She had all the symptoms of it except  for the not so pretty coat. The meds I use is a white gel called Methimazole.

Comes in a click pen that you put inside the ear 2x a day. Is so easy. Costs about $40 a month. Pills would not be a thing for her --- too much of a fight. She's been on it almost 3 weeks with no side effects. And she can eat her normal food. The diet food is so pricey--- almost $100 a month. 

So there is a pill, this click pen and also a liquid. Google this for more info and then talk to your vet. Cat Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@catuslily --- yes I will check that out--- read somewhere you can also swab the ear with a cotton ball soaked in water after the meds absorb. I may do that a few hours afterwards. And I checked out the iodine injection too --- about $2000 where I live. That maybe something I do if needed. She is 12.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm -- wondering if you put the pill in a pill pocket. My cat did pretty good that way, only I had to wear gloves to put it in so she couldn't detect the scent of the pill on the pocket from my fingers squishing it around the pill. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG -- well she kind of helped me detect the cancer lump I found in my breast. I was lying on the couch and she jumped on me to snuggle and walked on a very sore spot that made me wince . I felt a large mass there and immediately called my Dr. Turned out to be  stage 3 lobular cancer. Would have found it anyway but the earlier the better--- I owe her!!