Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I would never eat it, so I would never give it to my dog.   Bacon fat is Carcinogenic, a saturated fat full of salt and msg. Just use salmon oil instead. 

I agree. I would NEVER give a cat or a dog bacon grease. It's DISGUSTING. Salmon oil is healthier.

Valued Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

do you ever put a bit of the bacon grease on your pets' food?  i do but just a few drops.  it really flavors the dry food and my gang of three love it.

my old vcet said that it was okay to do so and that it helped keep pets warm in the winter.  they burn fat to keep warm during the winter.

SERIOUSLY? Do you eat it? I would NEVER give bacon grease to my pets. It's unhealthy and has TOO much sodium.  Your vet doesn't sound very bright.

Esteemed Contributor

Our Vet told us that any kind of pork is a no no and can cause pancreatitis ....

Honored Contributor

I do not give bacon grease to my dogs, people in the old days did, but we have learned better ,coconut oil, olive oil ,is good,if i have bacon ,i give just a few bites to them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I used to do this years ago but now the thinking is that it isn't good for the dog/s. I haven't done it with the last two dogs or the current two. I've read conflicting articles on it so I'm not sure what the real story is with this. I think maybe it's how they are processing the bacon but that's just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I do not give bacon grease to my dogs, people in the old days did, but we have learned better ,coconut oil, olive oil ,is good,if i have bacon ,i give just a few bites to them.

@goldensrbest   Of course   treats are something everyone, human and animal enjoy once in awhile!    I think it is when the diet is day to day full of bad fats and leftovers that are not healthy.    A treat is just that.  A once in a while special tidbit Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor
I had an old time, no frills vet say give my dog that had dry skin issues, bacon fat. However, I did not. Being he was a heavy breed that leaned towards being overweight, I chose other skin health options. I think bacon is a delightful addition to anyone that can handle a proper proportion.
I just spoke with my vet about my horses...just to say, she admitted, not every rule of thumb suits every animal...you have to watch your pet, and observe what's going on, what works, or does not. Honestly, if I had a dog that was perhaps even slightly underweight, or had skin issues, yet healthy and young ..I would give some bacon.🥓
I might even have me some😄
Honored Contributor

Besides it being too salty, feeding your dog bacon grease isn’t a good idea because it’s too high in fat and can cause pancreatitis. 

Honored Contributor

30 years ago when we ate bacon and had a dogs I did give them bacon fat, but I didn't know any better.

Respected Contributor

Coconut oil is high in calories, but safe for dogs.  I use it to make organic peanut butter biscuits.   

The fats in bacon are about 50% monounsaturated.  Unless the dog is tied up outside, no need to "fatten them up" to keep warm.